Cats urinating everywhere Please Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Cats urinating everywhere Please Help

We have a major problem with our three cats urinating in the house everywhere. It started with our oldest cat, Misty who is 8 years old that we found as a kitten in a drainage pipe. She used the litterbox fine for the first about 3 years we had her. She then started peeing on just my stuff. Anything I left laying around she would pee on, clothes, bookbags, papers.. etc. So I just had to learn to make sure I never left anything laying around. We had her checked for a UTI but that wasn't the problem. Then goind on 4 years ago we had 3 kittens show up at our house, 2 males and one female. The neighbors took one of the males but could never get him to stay home because he liked to be with his siblings. Our two were spayed/neutered. These three stayed outiside at the time because of Misty. Our little male, Tang, would accually run into the house just to use the litterbox so he eventually became a house cat as well. Thats when Misty began peeing everywhere. We added another litterbox to the house but she refused to use it. Then a year and half ago we had another kitten added to the family, Sophie. Sophie was meant to be an indoor cat so I could take her with me to college when I get an apartment but she didn't agree with the arrangement and constantly runs outside. She will not use a litter box either at all. NOw Tang has passed away, the only cat that would use a litter box and his sister, Angel, has started coming into the house more. Angel, Sophie, and Misty all refuse to use the litterbox. They all pee on anything. They will pee on couches, clothes, or just the floor. We have 4 litterboxes in the house but all are completely untouched. They all do seem to usually poop outside but this is just a huge problem now. We think that Misty started it because she got jealous of the new cats and the others are peeing becasue she is peeing. Is there any way to fix this? It is out of control and the house smell awful! Angel will most likely start staying outside more as the weather gets nicer, she doesn't like being in the house then. But the other two can't stay outside. They run in and out and scratch on the doors and honestly probobly wouldn't last to long as outside cats. Please help! We've tried different types of litter, multiple litterboxes. nothing works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Cats urinating everywhere Please Help

If you haven't taken them to the vet yet, go to the vet. Each cat will need an exam and urinalysis. They shouldn't push vaccines on you right now. If there is an infection then medication. It may have started out as a medical issue for one of them, although at this point it seems behavioral. No matter what you do to stop them, it will continue until you get rid of the smell. Now they think they can pee anywhere and since they are probably stressed they will pee anywhere. You need to get rid of furniture and carpet and/or have it professionally cleaned. Cats can still smell what we can't. A veterinarian should give you advice on how to deal with this. You may have to invest it a couple of large crates with food and litter or a small room. Having each cat confined to a small place, once the house is smell free, will force them to use their litter boxes. Then little by little you slowly let one out at a time so you can keep an eye out, then each should go to the litter boxes because that would be what they are accustomed to it. This could take a month or more. Your cats will not be bummed out they are confined, it would only be for a short time compare to their whole life. But nothing will work until all of the smell is gone first. Talk to a vet. But first be sure to see if it is a medical problem. Do not use litter box liners or fragrant litter, cats hate that. Scoop out the litter constantly.
kristy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Premier Cat

try cat attract litter. I just bought some at Petsmart for $12.99 a bag. It works for us that have problem pee-ers! To add to the effectiveness I would use the Azmura drops in their water. The Hermitage Cat Shelter has their program on their website. Take a look at it.

They've had total success with their chronic pee-ers and have been able to adopt them out. We swear by it in our rescue also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks! Yes they have been checked by a vet and do not have UTI's. I think we are going to take the carpet out of the room they are peeing in the most and put tile down. One of our dogs has now started peeing in there as well we think after 8 years of being housebroken. I think they all see that room as where they are supposed to go now because of the smell. I am going to go to Petco next weekend and get the litter. We have a room that is the "cat room" already that we can lock them in. Its just a small room that we put a cat door in so the dogs couldn't get to their food. Will it be okay to put two of the cats in there together during this time? We are just going to have Angel stay outside from now on. She doesn't get along well with one of the other cats. How long should we keep them in this room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page