New cat terrorising old cat! Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

New cat terrorising old cat! Help!

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advise, I hope you can help me!

We have recently adopted a new cat from a rescue centre. She is two years old and the friendliest cat I have ever seen.

However, we already had another cat (a tom, also 2 years old and neutered). We had picked a young female who was supposedly good with other cats and had been spayed. Unfortunately, she seems to terrorise our tom! He is very wary of her and seems very quiet and scared. All seems calm around the house, often they will even sit near each other; lots of staring and stalking has been going on.

Then occasionally, all **** breaks loose. For no apparent reason she will chase and attack him.

We feel really terrible for putting our Scamp through all this. We would not want to return Amber but we can't let Scampy get "pushed out" which is what seems to be happening.

Can anybody tell me this is normal? Is there anything we can do to calm things down?

It has only been about two and a half weeks so far. We kept them separate when we were out during the day but she is now ok to go outside. We will be able to let them both have free run of the house from tomorrow. We don't want Scampy being bullied all day while we are out!

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Re: New cat terrorising old cat! Help!

Hi Mike, I wanted to welcome you to CF. I am replying because it has been 5hrs since you posted and I didn't want you to think the place was deserted. I am hoping my post will bump-this-up to the top of the list and someone else will see it. I have a multi-cat household, but I've never had this type of cat introduction trouble before so I have nothing to offer in the way of solutions. My hope is that someone else who DOES have experience in this area will be able to offer some help, though it seems to me you are doing everything right (keeping them seperated when you can't supervise) so far.
Best of luck,
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Introductions can take longer than 2.5 weeks. I'd just continue to give it time. And, at first, there will be spats, no doubt. Continue to only let them be together when supervised. I think once your new kitty finds her favorite spots in the house, she might settle down. Right now, she's just intrigued by everything and that includes terrorizing your other kitty when they cross paths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:05 PM

My friend had a very old cat, and about 10 years ago, they adopt this stray cat. This new cat was pretty active, and seems very curious with everything. Initially they were kind of scared to introduce them. So, they separated them in the beginning by putting them in separate rooms. However, they are pretty aware of another cat inside the house. Later on, they introduced them, but watched them closely whenever they are home, and separate them whenever the cats are alone in the house. However, the old cat still seem to be quite intimidated by the younger cat. Last time I heard from my friend, they told me that they had to give up the younger cat to their relative, because the two cats just can't seem to get along. Depends on the cats' personality, I think some cats may eventually learn to live with each other, but some just never get along. You might want to give it more time, but if tom just seem too scared, it might be better to get him another friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page