New shelter cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

New shelter cat

Hello,

I have recently adopted a new shelter cat. He is a one year old orange and white domestic long haired cat who has just been neutered. We adopted him a week ago. During that week we kept him in our guest bedroom where we had his food and litter box. We would go in and play with him and offer him treats etc. He would allow us to pet him and would purr etc etc. Usually though everytime we would go in the room we would usually dart for under the bed.

Today we let him out of the room to explore the rest of the house. He has gone to our furnace room and is now hiding behind our dryer and washing machines.

My question is, have we rushed him into going into the rest of the house? Should we of just left him in the guest bedroom.

We also have another cat. She is a 5 year old spayed ragdoll. She has been hissing at him a bit but nothing serious and he seems to be genuinely interested in her.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Re: New shelter cat

Some kitties just take awhile longer to warm up to their new surroundings. Make sure he still has access to the guest room because even though he darted under the bed in there, that is his most familiar area at this moment. He's probably overwhelmed and hiding behind the washer and dryer because of that. Is the other kitty cornering him back there? I'd put him back in the guess room for a couple days or if you do want him to explore the rest of the house, close all the doors that you can and let him roam in the hallway or main area. All new smells and rooms can be overwhelming.

I think you are doing ok, he's just going to take some time to adjust. Do you know what his life was like before you had him? He could still be trying to get over some traumatic situation too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page