Why does Fern lick my husband all the time? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Why does Fern lick my husband all the time?

Fern is obsessed with licking my husband, and I'm not sure if she thinks he's dirty, if she likes the feel of his arm and chest hair, or if she's just telling him she loves him. Every time she curls up on his lap she spends time licking his forearms, and while sometimes he's sweaty, he's usually basically clean. She absolutely loves to lick him right after he's showered - we joke that she's trying to tell him he needs to scrub harder. And she'll often jump up on the bed early in the morning and lick him until he throws her off the bed. He has a big mole on one shoulder, and I think she thinks it's a dirty spot, because she licks that spot as often as she can get to it.

She'll lick me occasionally, but nowhere near as often as my husband. But if this is a sign of affection, I'm not surprised. ALL animals, including our two girls, like him better than me. I'm not sure why, but I'm used to it, so I just keep sole feeding rights to make sure the cats have a reason to like me too!

But seriously, anyone know what's with the licking?

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Why does Fern lick my husband all the time?

This is just a guess, but it's probably a grooming thing, not a taste thing. I'm thinking (hoping, actually), that hubby has more hair on his arms and chest.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Premier Cat

I also think it is a grooming thing. S-Jo will try to groom women's styled (gel/hairspray) hair. Floofy likes to lick, sometimes I think he just does it because he likes the flavor of my husband's arms, though he has licked my arms, too. I find his tongue much too raspy to allow it for more than a few swipes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Every day before I leave for work, Cali jumps on the highest level of the cat tree nearest the front door and "fixes" my hair for me.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Premier Cat

Awww, she's giving you a "lick and a promise"! Isn't she sweet? I always push Swirly away from me and tell her thanks, but I did my hair like this on purpose.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

My cats are SO spoiled. I fix my hair after she grooms me.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Premier Cat

That is so sweet that you don't hurt her feelings and fix it after you leave the house. I still snickered a bit, though. It reminds me of the Mother whose children decide to bring her breakfast in bed with cold toast and barely warm microwave oatmeal that is swimming in too much water. "Thanks children!" As she smiles and takes a bite of cold toast *cough*cough* then washes it down with a spoonful of oatmeal soup. ...as she lies through her teeth: "Um, yum! This is delicious!"

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Diana, I hope this thread-stealing conversation has answered your question.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yup, you've pretty much answered my question She's at it again right now, licking Kevin's arm before she settles into a nap. It's similar to what they do by themselves - curl up, do some licking, then go to sleep. If he lifts his arm she'll grab it and glare at him until he puts it down again. Then she'll drape a paw over the arm, rest her chin on it, and pass out.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Awwww, that's so sweet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page