Cat introduction failed and spirit essence - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat introduction failed and spirit essence

Ive posted on here a few times about my cats behavior. Heres a summary:
I have a 3 yr old female cat named azores and recently I adopted a 2 yr old female froma shelter name jadedea. Ill admit I was hasty in the beginning with introductions. I kept her in the room overnight (her base camp) and let her out the next day to freely explore the second floor. Later my two cats finally met and it was with moans, growls, hiss you name it.

So we placed her back in the room another 24hours. We let her walk around freely while be observed and everytime the two cats met it was with hissing growling, pawing (with some claws).

As the weeks progressed it seemed they were getting closer and closer to each other but still fighting. We thought that was progress, but then one day azores lept on jadedea, a tuff of fur flew and we seperated them. Jadedea went into her room for a week.

We did everything the introductions articles told us to do, even tried the vanilla on the shoulder blades. I even have the feliway stuff plugged in and by the door. A few times they met at the door, with the door cracked without fighting. So later I let her out again. They seemed fine.

Now its been about 2 weeks since I let her out again. Apparently when im not around, they are fine. They close to each other, howl and hiss and walk it off. But when I get home the intensity rises up and they get into fights. Im starting to think im the problem and not them. Im sure if cesar milan was a cat whisperer he would tell me I need to assert myself as the pack leader or something.

Anyways, even though they still fight I now use a water a gun. As soon as they leap or try and scratch one another they both get sprayed. At this point jadedea who was once a pacifist has now started retaliating.

So im wondering If I got spirit essences if that would work? And im also wondering if even though they still fight they are getting closer to each other if thatís progress?

My husband thinks if we bring a kitten in, it will squash any tension between the two. I think its just adding to the war. Also azores seems very jealous. Whenever I go to see jadedea she shows up, I feel like im getting "Caught in the act" or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Cat introduction failed and spirit essence

I feel your pain!! I have 7 cats who get along well. Just after Christmas I introduced a 1 1/2 year old female and it has not gone well. I did the separation thing, and like you was a little hasty, so Crystal (the new girl) went back into her room.

I ordered the Spirit Essences and they didn't seem to make a huge difference. Some of the cats will go in and spend lots of time with Crystal, but I have one- Miss Baby- who will attack at any opportunity. It has been over 2 months now and everything is still the same.

I am now trying to find a new home for Crystal (I thought I had one, but it fell through) because I just don't know what else to do. Obviously I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to tell you that you are not alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade
..... Im starting to think im the problem and not them. ....
My husband thinks if we bring a kitten in, it will squash any tension between the two. I think its just adding to the war. .....
I think you're right on both counts. The cats seem to be adapting to each other (uneasily perhaps, but making progress), but are sensing your anxiety and reacting to it. Getting another cat is the absolutely worst thing to do right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

they know if they get close and start growling i "come out of the shadows" to thwart them. azores knows and walks away and jadedea is starting to catch on. so should i let them paw at each other, and when it gets really bad intervene? should i wrap them both up an force them to sniff each others butt? lol

oy!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

If nobody's getting hurt then you need do nothing. I know that's a tough judgment call. Even play-fighting cats can make some dreadful sounds. These are still establishing their relationships with each other, so I do think it's more than play, but less than "I'm going to kill you." It's probably more like "get out of my face!!"

Try to observe their "fighting" -- if it's pretty even-handed, i.e. they trade off who's the aggressor, then it's OK. Try to see if their claws are fully extended or partially sheathed. Are they biting hard enough to pierce the skin or only hard enough to get a mouthful of fur? How do their tiffs begin? Does one go out of the way to instigate? Or is it just when they get in each other's space?

I think with close observation you'll get to learn the body language and be able to tell whether you need to intervene or not.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Tim. That has been my experience. It hard to tell which is get out of my face fighting and which is full blown agression.

It wouldnt hurt to try the Spirit Essence. Its worked for me. My alpha Mittens went thru months of fighting with my foster that came in. Chandlier had been here as a baby but now wanted to dominate now that he was back. I used a bully formula in their wet food at night. He now has stopped. Was it the Spirit Essence? I think so but Ill never know. Im grateful it stopped.

Sometimes a cat just cant assimulate into existing cats. Tim and others have had this experience. They went the extra mile trying to work it out. In fact they went the extra 100 miles. But that is another judgement call on your part. Good luck. My heart goes out to you. You want to put first those who were there to begin with.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

well here are the updates:

they sometimes let each other sniff their butts but azores likes to come back and smack at jadedea, almost as if shes bi-polar.

they only seem to fight when one doesnt want to be bothered or in each others space. occasionally they stalk and chase each other. azores attacks jade when shes in her nap places. she just smacks and run like a coward. sometimes jade goes after her. i think when azores realizes she can share her space with jade shell stop instigating fights.

maybe i should shave jadedea (long hair) to start the whole process again, or maybe azores will accept her as a short hair lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned

It sounds to me like you really don't need to do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page