strange and odd behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

strange and odd behavior

Hey everyone,

So, my cat, Lucky, I adopted him back in 2006 from the animal shelter. He was really shy and timid when I first got him and as soon as I set him free in my house he hid under the treadmill for 2 days. I love animals so I spent most of my time trying to get him to come out. On the third night he moved behind the computer desk and I managed to get him out. I carried him upstairs and put him on my bed, but as soon as I let go he bolted back downstairs. Later that night as I slept, my arm was hanging over my bed. I suddenly jerked my arm and I heard a scattering sound and it was Lucky. He came back upstairs and was watching me. Ever since that night, we've been inseparable. He stays in my room mostly and only comes downstairs when he's looking for me.

Anyway, he was old when I got him, about 7 or 8 maybe. The people at the shelter said his last owners got rid of him because their baby was allergic, but I think they abused him. He only has half a tail. He often bites it. He used to bite it so bad that blood would splatter onto my wall, but that's stopped. When he bites himself, he usually suddenly bolts off the bed for some reason.

Also, a few months ago I left for college. Whenever I come home on the weekends, Lucky comes and finds me and he won't stop meowing until I spend time with him (at least over an hour). Even after that he constantly meows for my attention, even when we're laying in bed together. Does anyone know why he does this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: strange and odd behavior

Welcome, and I think Lucky must seek you out because he thrives on your attention and feels safe with you. As for the injured tail, biting of the tail and leaping quickly off the bed, check out (google) feline hyperesthesia, as I think that is what is bothering him. He sounds like a sweet and truly lucky cat that you adopted him.
Heidi

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Cat

wow sounds like all my cats had feline hyperesthesia according to the description lol.

i was going to say the cat having half a tail isnt necessarily a sign of abuse. my cat has a little japanese bobtail in her. but also She has a defect in her genes. I got her while I was in japan. The story is that when cats were brung over to japan one of them had a genetic defect that caused the tail to only grow half way (sort of like bobtails, or any other short, or no tail having cats) but in this defect it also caused the bones to kink up. If you clasped your hand around my cats tail (its about 3 inches long) you can feel that her bones are really thick and she has about 4 kinks in them. It doesn’t hurt her, and she enjoys wacking things with her tail. Her brother almost had a normal tail. His was full length but just at the tip he had 2 kinks. My cats tail can look like its been hacked away by abuse but it wasn’t.

Even though lucky bites at it, the tail has probably been that way since birth and not cause of lucky doing.

I hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Premier Cat

My cat Blaze had what the vet called a "mace" tail. It was only about 4" in length and the last few joints kinked it around into a little ball and her fur made it look like a round circle on the end of her tail. Blaze did NOT like having her tail messed with.
My Marmalade [1996-2008] probably had hyperesthesia as he would suddenly groom his lower back and occasionally run off, shaking a foot like mad, take a few licks and ripple his skin for a bit.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Premier Cat

Some kittens during birth tails are broken. If left on treated they will fall off at the broken area.

Sounds like your kitty has a strong bond with you. How sweet. How much attention is he getting when your not there? Im sure it is hard on him with you being gone off to school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page