Behaviour around toddler - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Behaviour around toddler

My cat Dinger and 19 month old son Felix get on pretty well these days, he sometimes takes things a little far with her (ie. thinking she wants to play a chasing game when she doesn't), but is generally gentle and affectionate, and she likes him, rubs his hand and legs, tries to cuddle up with him etc. More often than not they can be left to play together with no harm done to cat nor toddler.

However, occasionally Dinger will do this thing to him where she rears up and puts a paw either side of his head then makes out she is going to bite him. She never does, and never hurts him at all. She has left a tiny mark before where she caught him, but it wasn't intentional and he didn't really even notice.

Obviously when she does this, we separate them. If it looks like he's annoying her, we'll separate them beforehand, but sometimes it's quite sudden. It doesn't seem to be a particularly aggressive action on her part - there's no ears back, fur up, hissing, growling etc. or any of the other warning signs beyond a little tail swish. It actually seems to me that she's trying to discipline him, like a mother cat would to a kitten - so almost an affectionate telling off.

Sorry this is so long, I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the behaviour. Out of interest more than anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Behaviour around toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezypops
It actually seems to me that she's trying to discipline him, like a mother cat would to a kitten - so almost an affectionate telling off.
That was the first thought that popped into my mind....seems like she's trying to teach him limits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Cat

When my kids were small we had a siamese that adored them , he also didnt take any nonsense however and a toddler pulling a tail or being unduly rough would get a very gentle slap . An older child would get his hand gently "pinned" with nails . I always looked the other way .. IMO the child was being taught manners.

I firmly believe that a well behaved cat can teach small children manners as far as animals are concerned.

Freeway our silly ex stray who loves my kittens took a fancy to my 1 year old grandaughter this weekend .. she was allowed several liberties probably due to her age, but im sure she would get the same treatment "discipline" as she got older.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Jr. Cat

Just to be on the safe side I would clip kitties nails.

Terri
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

We do trim her nails already actually, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks everyone, it's nice to know you have similar feelings about it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page