My cat's feet... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

My cat's feet...

Sometimes when I wake up, I find bloodstains all over the floor. My next thought is, "It happened again?!"By "it", I mean that the skin off my cat's hind legs get mysteriously scraped off.It's odd, because the skin looks like it had been cut clean with a knife, just right under the paws.We're seriously confused by this, but one thing we know is that it's been happening ever since we got our wood stove, and my cat likes to sit next to it a lot.So, does anyone here know anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

Re: My cat's feet...

What was your vet's theory when you brought your cat in? I'm stumped.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
What was your vet's theory when you brought your cat in? I'm stumped.
We didn't go to the vet on this, so no theory is available. Besides, she's a healthy cat in general. Fairly old but healthy. It just ahs to do with the enviroment she's in, I suppose. We thought up one possibility that she got too close to the wood stove and jumped on it or something, but she's not THAT stupid. A little wild, but not dumb. Another thing is, this thing always seems to happen overnight, and then we wake up to a bloody floor. It's really confusing, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Well, "bloodstains all over the floor" sounds like a quite a bit of blood. If it was me, that cat would have been at the vet the next day.

I guess you'll have to stay up tonight to find out what's going on. Let us know when you solve the mystery.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, "bloodstains all over the floor" sounds like a quite a bit of blood. If it was me, that cat would have been at the vet the next day.

I guess you'll have to stay up tonight to find out what's going on. Let us know when you solve the mystery.
Well, it was a bit of an exaggeration, I admit. It's more like when you accidently cut your finger and a couple of drops fall on the floor. Mybe I sort of made it sound like a big puddle of blood. Sorry about that. Anyway, if WE don't know the answer, I don't think the vet would be able to figure it out either I don't know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

You'd be surprised at what vets can figure out from looking at a cat's injuries. If you have an experienced one, anyway. A vet that's been in practice for some time has probably seen just about everything and can look at some type of an injury and say what most likely caused it. When you know how it's happening, then you can prevent it from happening again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You'd be surprised at what vets can figure out from looking at a cat's injuries. If you have an experienced one, anyway. A vet that's been in practice for some time has probably seen just about everything and can look at some type of an injury and say what most likely caused it. When you know how it's happening, then you can prevent it from happening again.
Perhaps...but the big problem is that last time we were at the vet, there was this really nasty guy who was really rough in handling our pets and ended up hurting our dog pretty badly. Definetely NOT experienced. They also charged us a lot of mone for that, so since then, we're pretty reluctant to trust our vets. Maybe we will try it out but we're a bit nervous.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Hi,

how often has this happened? Is one foot affected or two? Are the pads affected or the skin behind them? Have a close look at his paws, is the skin OK or is it cracked, torn or puffed up?

Could he hurt his paws by tearing across the floor at such a speed that he's burning his pads? What kind of floor surface do you have? No floor boards that are a fraction higher then the rest? Sharp edges on the stove? Wood splints?

I guess you've spent some time crawling around the floor looking for tell tale blood marks to find out were this happens?

There are some very rare diseases that can affect cats paws, such as feline plasma cell pododermatitis or eosinophilic granuloma- google these.

Christine
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

Thanks, Christine, great suggestions. And reminded me that it's still winter and maybe the pads are just cracking. There's a product sold in farm stores called "bag balm" (if I remember right) that some people use on their cats' paw pads.

BuRu - if that's your only option for a vet, I feel for ya.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Christine, great suggestions. And reminded me that it's still winter and maybe the pads are just cracking. There's a product sold in farm stores called "bag balm" (if I remember right) that some people use on their cats' paw pads.

BuRu - if that's your only option for a vet, I feel for ya.
so little snow here I'd forgotten that!

christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page