peeing problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

peeing problem

it's driving me close to wanting to get rid of him.

i saw him at the pet groomer's at about thanksgiving. the groomer told me that the owner of the cat can't have the cat anymore so it's up for adoption for free. he is a 2 years old beautiful long haired white/cream color w/ blue eyes, declawed though. he is also fixed. so i picked up the cat and was on my marry way.

it's been 4 months and the cat still just pee anywhere he wants. upstairs, downstairs, on the bath mat, on the wood floor, one time on the bed on a morning i slept in. i can't understand it. the litter box is downstairs and i clean the box every 2-3 days. the litter is the clumping litter type. i thought that the cat's lazy so i hand carry the cat to the litter box to pee every morning before i leave for work and every night before i go to bed. i'm still finding pee spots through out the house. sometimes is just a couple of drops, sometimes is a full puddle... i can't understand why... I've had another cats before and I never had a potty problem w/ that one and never even had to train them. I just don't understand why this one will just go anywhere.

I have a male pomeranian in the house too and they get along great. i don't think, at least I don't believe, the cat is trying to mark his territory. this cat was supposedly living w/ a dog before me too.

Can you guys help me figure out what's wrong w/ my cat?

i tried to attach a pic but it says the board attachment quota has been reached...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

Re: peeing problem

Do you know that the number one reason for inappropriate elimination in a cat is due to painful urinary tract problems?
Either the cat has crystals in their urine, or an infection and/or an infection _because_ of the crystals. Crystals require a diet change and an infection requires antibiotics. You have to take the cat to the vet for the vet to get a urine sample to determine what is going on inside the cat. Your vet may also want to take blood to run a blood test, as the blood test results will tell the vet quite a bit about what is going on inside and how the cat's body/organs are operating.

Cats with urinary problems experience PAIN when they 'go' in the litterbox and they quickly associate the litterbox with that pain. So, they try to find OTHER areas to pee, where maybe it won't hurt. Soft bedding? Laundry? Bathmats? Carpets? Furniture? Smooth surfaces? All of these eliminations in inappropriate areas are the cat telling you something is wrong with it.
Take the cat to the vet to rule out a medical problem. If there is nothing wrong with the cat medically, then the problem may be behaviorally based and we (and your vet) can try to trouble-shoot the triggers and help you eliminate them so the cat is confident and happy using its' litterbox.
Best of luck and let us know what the vet finds,
Heidi

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Heidi. Its important you have your vet check your cat for medical issues first. These are very life threatening issues if your cat has this. This is a good article to help you understand. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...=show&item=017

Be sure an clean all areas he has peed on with a good enzyme cleaner. Then spray it with feliway spray. It wouldnt hurt to get some plug in feliway despenser also.

PIDDLE PROGRAM

The Hermitage Cat Shelter has started adopting out cats who don’t always go inside the box. We have developed the Piddle Program for those kitties who need a little help in being reintroduced to their litter boxes. They have had 100% success with this program so far. Outlined below is our program and products:

Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract Litter

Start with a very clean litter box. Read the directions on the bag. You will note that you add very little litter to the box. (Product is available at any Petsmart pet store).

R & R- Flower Essence

Use 2-4 drops in a fresh bowl of water for the kitties upon arrival at your home. Keep in mindthat the transition period begins when you pick them up and begin the introduction to you andyour home.

Spraying- Flower Essence

Use 2-4 drops in the same fresh bowl of water for the cat upon arrival at your home.

It is important to begin the transition period with confinement of the kitties in a smaller area of the home, i.e., bathroom or bedroom. The litter box, food bowl and water bowl should be in the same room so that they have an opportunity to be in a less stressful environment than would be true if access to the entire home was available.

This part of the program should continue for at least two weeks during which time an evaluation can be made. Keep in mind that the kitties will be going through the adoption transition period as well at this time. I know that both you and the kitties will be patient with each other.

If you have a really hard case piddler you can contact the experts who make Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract Litter at 877-311-2287 or http://www.preciouscat.com.

It was so kind of you to adopt this cat and bring it to your home so it could have a safe, loving, full life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

sorry to bring this back. we took him to the vet and nothing is physically wrong w/ him.

now we've noticed that it might be a revenge type deal here.

he's declawed so we don't let him go outside. so whenever he wants to go outside and we don't let him, he'll pee in the house later or at 6 am. we've cleaned all his usual spots w/ Nature's Miracle but he'll go back to the same place or some place close to it and pee there again when he's not happy.

we've given 110% to this cat and we keep him well feed, played w/ him, scratch him, everything. but he is just the vengeful type. what can we do? i told my wife that if we can't solve it, we'll give him up.

any other suggestions?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Premier Cat

Your situation sounds a lot like ours. We had a declawed, long-haired cat who peed on the furniture many times and was driving us nuts.

Here's what helped. After getting a medical okay like you did, I put a second litterbox next to the first one, but put only a liner and a couple sections of newspapers in it. I kid you not, within minutes she had started peeing on the newspaper and pooping in the litter, and the problem was solved. It may be worth a try!

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment but i don't think extra litter box is the answer here.

we live in a 2 story town house and the peeing problem seems to be just in the upstair master bedroom. so we thought that he was just lazy and doesn't want to go downstairs. so we set up a new litter box in one of the upstairs bathrooms. he'll go there to pee and poop but he'll still pee by the desk when we think he's upset...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinisimo
Thanks for the comment but i don't think extra litter box is the answer here.

we live in a 2 story town house and the peeing problem seems to be just in the upstair master bedroom. so we thought that he was just lazy and doesn't want to go downstairs. so we set up a new litter box in one of the upstairs bathrooms. he'll go there to pee and poop but he'll still pee by the desk when we think he's upset...
We have a cat with a peeing problem as well, she pee's on piles of clothes, bath mats, she's pee'd on our loveseat too! What I find though is that she DOES NOT like a dirty litter box, being we have 3 other cats it is difficult to keep really clean, but it is a problem for her.

1. Stress can cause cats to have bad behaviors, and this kitty may be stressed from changes. There are "calming" scents you can buy at the pet store and try using in the room where the cat pee's all the time and see if this helps.

2. Try a different litter, possibly he doesn't like the littler you are using and trying a couple different litters will let you know if this might be the problem as well.

3. Clean the box daily, seriously, he might just not like a dirty box and refuse to go in there when there is already poop and pee in the box. Every time we clean our litter boxes we put Little Kitty in there and she immediately uses it before all of the other cats get a chance.

You might also try this new little box that we are trying, it is called Breezes and it uses pellets instead of litter, so when the cat pee's it drains down into this tray underneath that has an absorbent pad in it that you change out once a week and when they poop it just sits on top and can easily be scooped out. You only change the pellets once a month and it doesn't stink at all. The good part about this box is that it always appears "clean", we haven't noticed Little Kitty peeing on other things ever since we got this box so it seems to be working. It is not expensive to maintain either, the pellets are about $6 per bag and that lasts one month, and the absorbent pads come in a pack for 4 for about $5. The box itself was $25 and came with a bag of pellets and 4 pads. I swear this is the best litter box we've ever owned and we have one of those expensive automatic litter boxes.

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page