Please Help me save my puddy! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Please Help me save my puddy!

My cat is around 18 years old. She is old but it good health. She does take steroids prescribed from her vet.
The problem is that she will not let my mom sleep. She wails like nothing I have ever heard. from about 430am until my mom gets up. My mom has tried everything! She feeds her before bed, feeds her when she wakes up, then goes back to sleep but the puddy keeps wailing until she is out of bed. She has tried shooting her with water, keeping her bedroom door open etc etc. This has now become a very serious matter as my mom works in a very high stress job and is suffering b/c of her lack of sleep. The puddy is alone all day, she used to have 3 people and a dog around and now she only has my mom. It has become so serious that my mom is considering putting her down as giving her away would be too stressful to the puddy as she is so old. Neither my mom nor I want the puddy to be put down. But it is risking my mom's health and her job at this point. I told her I would find a cat forum and ask for help as a last ditch effort.
Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Please Help me save my puddy!

I think there's two possibilities here:

1. Your cat is very old and may be experiencing a form of dementia or alzheimers, it often manifests itself with wailing during the night.

2. The cat did it once and your mom got up and fed and petted her, she tried it again and what do you know same thing happened. So now she has you mom well trained. The only way to break this cycle is to ignore her. Completely ignore her, don't talk, don't pet, don't get up etc. How long it takes is usually related to how long this has been going on. But typically not more than a couple weeks. Your mom will have to be tough to resist responding but that's the only thing that will break the cycle.

I do suspect your cat is feeling lonely given the change in number of people around. I hope your mother is giving her extra love and attention during waking hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page