Help, My cat attacked me! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Help, My cat attacked me!

Ok, this is the second time my cat has been acting like this. I think she has some kind of braib disorder or trauma based disorder because she's normally very nice. She was freaking out nd pawing at the floor like she was pawing at a snake or something and she was very skittish. I tried shaking her treats and she completely ignored me.

Now, she's a fatty, so she usually comes running no matter what... so I tried to grab her to calm her down and she clawed my left hand and right wrist, and she bit down hard on my left pointer finger. She's still acting this way, and it's been like this for about an hour now. Wierd thing was, was that while my hand and wrist were being taken care of, she was perfectly fine, and even let my girlfriend pet her... When I came back in the living room, she had already started again. I'm terrified of her, even though I know she woukd never do this if she was herself...

Please, if someone knows why she's acting like this unprovoked (at least as far as I can tell) I would love them forever. I just want to know what's bothering her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Help, My cat attacked me!

The first thing to know is never grab a cat when they're freaking out, it will only make the situation worse, as you've found out. It's a rare cat that looks to it's human for protection or comfort when something goes wrong in their world.

Do you know what your cat was doing just prior to this behavior? Could she have seen another cat in the yard? If so, you would be a victim of re-directed aggression. Although the pawing sounds kind of strange, could it have been some sort of seizure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Premier Cat

The pawing part actually sounds very familiar. Murphy often paws and dances around a spot on the floor, even though there's nothing there. This always happens after we've been playing laser tag with him . . . it's as if he thinks the laser must be under the carpet, since he can't see it anymore. Were you just playing with your cat before this happened?

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 PM

My sister has a female cat that goes whacko sometimes and has attacked several people inflicting some really nasty wounds.

We all know to stay away from Penelope when her eyeballs dialate and look like black marbles. She was actually put on anti-depressants for a while (which seemed to work.) She did seem to chill out a bit as she got older but I still view her as unpredictable.

I have never had an issue with her but once while visiting I was petting her and she is very mouthy so she was maow maowing a lot. She seemed to get aggitated so I left her alone but my other sister walked by and Penelope launched at her, wrapped around her leg and was biting and scratching like a maniac.

I've had cats that were frisky get a little too "fierce" with me and bit too hard, but this sounds completely different.

If you think it is a health issue I would record these incidents and note any changed behavior afterward such as unsteady gait, pupils that aren't dialated equally, drooling, etc. If it is a seizure type behavior, they definitely have a time period after the episode where they are, "coming back to themselves," so to speak and seem a bit out of it.

Good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Premier Cat

Since this is a new behavior you might want to consider a vet visit to make sure that there isn't anything wrong.

Please keep a close eye on the wounds that you have as they can easily become infected. One of my cats bit me last spring (my fault) and it was infected and getting worse by the minute within 48 hours.

Good luck to you- this must be scary for all of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page