Hi - New here and have a problem with my cats - need help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Hi - New here and have a problem with my cats - need help

Hi, we have 3 cats which are mainly outdoor cats but they stay in a heated garage and also have their own area in there..... they do come in the house periodically but prefer outside. One of my cats is older and is no problem at all. She just hangs out and pretty much does nothing.... the other two however have started so VERY bad habits that I need to stop. We DO have a scratching post for them that they use but for some reason that is not enough anymore. They have started scratching my husbands motorcycle seat ( ) as well as all the posts on our front porch. We just moved here and already have to sand and refinish our porch... but don't know how to get them to stop and really want them to before we redo the porch. My husband has already bought a cover for his bike, so we can handle that part. It is the porch that we are trying to protect. They have it torn up so bad now I have had two guests get splinters just trying to get to my front door

Can anyone help?? I am really getting desperate. We yell at them to stop when we catch them, but we aren't always around to catch them. I won't get rid of my cats but I am about to lock them in a closet for a month (just joking - don't worry)..... but I really need to find an answer for this problem.

Here are the culprits:

Jinx:

Asha:

And the non trouble maker, Tiocy(pronounced T.O.C.):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hi - New here and have a problem with my cats - need help

I just read the rules, and saw that pics are supposed to be uploaded through here.... Is it okay that I used my photobucket links? I don't have any pictures of my cats on this computer.... but if you want me to remove them, I will. Just let me know.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Jr. Cat

You could try keeping their nails trimmed. Also put double faced tape on the areas they seem to like best - they hate the feel of it hopefully that will get them out of the habit and you can then remove the tape. Put catnip on their scratching posts and put the posts near the areas they like to scratch - the catnip will hopefully attrack them to the area the CAN scratch - the posts

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

3kiddens, I think you missed the "or" in the rule:

a. Photos may be uploaded to the Cat Forum Gallery or other hosting sites and linked to your posts.

The Cat Forum Gallery is not back up yet. Catman upgraded the forum, and the photo gallery will be up and running fairly soon. (I hope!)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

oh, oops. I did miss that.

The problem lies that tape won't stick to our deck - right now it is too cold and in the summer it is in full sun....

They do use the scratching post.... alot. But they seem to think we moved into a house that has another, big one, just for them.....

Is there any type of repellent stuff that I could put on it to help deter them? Someone suggested spraying lemon juice on the posts..... do you think that would help and how long would my porch be "lemony fresh"?

Just wanted to add that I just noticed that their pictures really do express their personalities.....
Jinx is a kitten(almost 2) and is playful and rambunctious and likes to get in trouble.
Asha is a fat lazy cat that has a major attitude, she is about 7.... she basically acts like a spoiled teenager. She also likes to get into trouble.
Tiocy is around 13. She is a quiet, laid back, not a care in the world cat. She is called 'mama' because she loves everyone and is really no trouble at all. But she will protect the others if she has too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Well, they don't like citrus; that's for sure. You could also try bitter apple. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

ok - I will try both and see if I can save my porch....... if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know!!

Thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Premier Cat

I feel odorant items to repell a scratching cat are ineffective unless the odor is also strong enough to repell people. The best deterrent is a physical one. Make the right thing easy (provide scratching posts or areas they CAN scratch) and the wrong thing difficult (prevention or deterrent).

You can make the wrong thing difficult, even when you are not there...by placing the double sided sticky tape to foam-boards (available at office supply/WalMart stores) and zip-tie the taped up boards to the areas you want them to leave alone. You can remove these for when company is coming and you want things to look presentable, and you can easily place them back as needed to deter the behavior.

I use the foam boards with one side covered in sticky-tape to lay on my countertops to deter counter-surfing. Or, counter-sharking (for food feeding-frenzies) as my husband calls it. When I need to use the counter, they easily slide between the wall and the fridge. When I am done, pull them out and place them back on the counter.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Cool Cat

I don't have anything to add to the suggestions already made. But I just wanted to say that your 3 cats look adorable Good luck with breaking Jinx and Asha of their naughty habits.

seashell
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Cat Addict

If you are planning on replacing part of your porch anyway you could look into some of the products that are out that a cat is not likely to want to scratch. Evernew by Certain Teed is a vinyl railing that might work for you. Also there are composite decking and railings that may work such as Monarch and Trex. They can be pricey, but they are very nice looking low-maintenence products.
Your troublemakers are beautiful cats. So is the innocent one.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page