Acting like Rabies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Acting like Rabies

Ok, my cat has alwasys been an indoor cat. She is 3 years old and normally loving and just plain normal. For the last couple months I have noticed she has lost a lot of weight and does not seem to have an appetite. Recently she has started attacking the other cat which is 2 years old, the same cat she used to clean and nurse when it was a baby. We tried separating them but then all she does is meow as though she is in heat. They were both spayed about a year ago. They have been separated for one week, we tried to introduce them again and she attacked the other cat again. We put her outside. When she is inside she is constantly roaming the house smelling things, then as soon as she sees the other she attacks. It almost seems as though she has rabies. She looks and acts different, she is acctually scaring me, I had to put her outside. I have two babies too, a two year old and an one year old. Please Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Acting like Rabies

It sounds like she may be ill. Perhaps something like diabetes, with the weight loss.
Do you have a room you could keep her in until you get her to the vet? Being outside would seem to just increase the possibility of developing other problems.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome and I'm sorry one of your kitties is behaving in a way that is frightening you.
First, cats don't usually change behaviors abruptly without something (medical or environmental) changing within their world and is a good indication the cat needs to be seen by a vet.
Second, any significant weight loss is an even better indication a cat needs to be seen by a vet.
Finally, I'm afraid that with the limited amount of information you've given us, and having not had the kitty seen by a vet for a physical exam, comprehensive bloodtest analysis and the vet's best idea/diagnosis of the problem...we on an internet forum (cannot see/touch the cat) are not going to be very much help.

Respectfully, I understand you are frightened for your family and the other cat, but you have now put this cat outside where it can interact with other pets/people while not finding out what the cause of the behavior/health changes actually is or trying to solve its' problems. My opinion only, and you can completely disregard if you wish; I cannot help but think this is unfair to the kitty because I'm sure she doesn't like/understand this any better than you do. My first step would be for this kitty to visit the vet and tell the vet about ALL of my concerns.
Best of luck to you, and I hope you will be able to reintegrate the kitty back into your family. Be prepared though, in case that isn't possible. I have no clue how this could end up.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Another vote for that vet visit. Significant weight loss and behavior changes mean there is something going on that needs attention. Leaving her outside is not a solution. And, while there's not way for me to know if it is or isn't rabies, if it is (has she even been vaccinated?) you are exposing other animals and people that may come across her to injury and spread of disease. Certainly not fair to anyone...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page