New User needing help with her kitten please!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

New User needing help with her kitten please!!!

Hi All

I've registered to this site as I'm really worried about my Kitty and it's making me very sad. Millie is just under a year old and a very playful (sometimes crazy!) cat. Me and my sister got her when she was about 3 months old and decided to keep her as a housecat as we live in an apartment block. I've never had a cat before so when I used to see Millie looking out of the window I felt guilty that I was depriving her of the freedom of outdoors, at the same time it's not feasible to let her out (2nd floor flat) plus it's dangerous. Anyway, we got her spayed last month after she spent a week howling all night every night, and she is doing really really well after this. The problem now is that I have moved out of my sisters and into a one bedroom flat, now on the 3rd floor. The flat is very big with lots of space for Millie, but she seems to be meowing a lot more. I've only been there a week, but in the night she will sit by the front door meowing and trying to reach the handle. It's so upsetting as I feel like it's her way of saying she wants to go out. Is this what it is? Or is she missing my sister? I don't know what to do for the best as I don't want to stifle her. I've even been thinking about giving her to a family with a garden so that she has the best life. Please can anyone help, I really don't know what I should do Thanks x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Premier Cat

Re: New User needing help with her kitten please!!!

I think once your kitty knows this is her home and bonds a bit closer with you she will stop meowing so much. I would play with her in the evenings and have things to divert her and interact with her.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome, and I agree. This place is new to her and it hasn't registered to her that this is now 'home'. Her pawing at the door handle is showing you how smart she is, because she knows that is the key to opening the door. All she knows right now...is she wants to go out that door and try to find her 'home'. I know it is sad to think of her being confused about this, but it will just take some time for her to learn that this place, is now 'home'.
Extra cuddle-times, more playing sessions and whatever else you can think of to help her settle in and feel more comfortable. Please do not think you are being cruel. Many cats live perfectly good and healthy, enriched lives indoors. If you are in the 3rd story, this would make it very difficult for her to be an indoor/outdoor kitty. I live rurally in America and I still keep most of my cats indoors. I do have a few 'barn cats', but they moved into my barn as ferals already aware of the dangers outdoors and are able to manage themselves just fine. Most of my indoor cats I would be afraid to let them out because they just don't have the skills/knowledge to survive safely outdoors without supervision or containment.
Just give your Millie time and reassurance, she will eventually adjust.
heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your posts, I have been regreshing the site all day waiting for a reply. It certainly makes me feel a bit better that I am not being cruel. I suppose it makes sense that she is feeling unsettled. I will have to give her lots of extra TLC! I really don't want to give her away, I just want to do the best for her x
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by silascreek
I really don't want to give her away, I just want to do the best for her x
You know, just that you considered doing somthing for HER benefit and knowing it would hurt you to give her up, tells me lots about you. You really must be a very good and conscientious owner. Millie is a lucky kitty.
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page