Pregnant cats adopt humans? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Pregnant cats adopt humans?

About a year ago, my brother brought home this beautiful black kitten named Lexus. Well, she got pregnant before we could get her fixed. She absolutely fell in love with my mom! She literally would have nothing to do with anyone else if my mom was in the room. I ended up keeping one of her kittens (Ghost), and now SHE'S pregnant. She's doing the exact same thing to me. She sleeps in my bed every night, climbs into my lap every time I sit down, and follows me around the house all day. Is this just normal behavior for pregnant cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to sungeun11
Re: Pregnant cats adopt humans?

Yes, growing up there was a stray cat hanging around my parent's place and she was pregnant. My mom felt bad, so we let her use the back garage. She was a very nice loving cat, so we named her Sweetie She had 4 or 5 kittens but I can't remember cause I was only 3 or 4years old at the time and now I am 24. But I guess it depends on the cat's temperament. We were blessed with her! It sounds like the cat is somewhat used to humans or at least your mom

Princeton our "SLKF" Special Lil Kitty Friend
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Hi,

yes, this is a normal behaviour for a pregnant cat who trusts her human, make sure you can take some time off when she's due.

Have you considered getting your cat neutered after this litter?

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Yep, Lexus was an itty bitty kitten when she came to us and my mom's retired. They were perfect companions!

Judging by the prego diary on here that I looked at, she should give birth close to or during my summer break. I'll have all the time in the world for her ^^. And yes, my parents rushed to get her fixed BEFORE she got knocked up, but we were a little too late, lol. How long will it take after the kittens are born before we can get her fixed?

Another question: Should I be worried about Lexus and my other cat hurting the kittens? And will Lexus stop being so aggressive toward Ghost once she's fixed, or is it just a mother/daughter thing?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Premier Cat

It would appear that you and your mom register as 'feline' in their CPUs...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabell
Another question: Should I be worried about Lexus and my other cat hurting the kittens? And will Lexus stop being so aggressive toward Ghost once she's fixed, or is it just a mother/daughter thing?
First, it is normal for an adult mother cat to "push away" the kittens of former litters, to go off into the world and carve their own way, so the mother cat can preserve all of her attention and resources for her new litter. Some mother cats do not do this, I believe this is an instinctual thing and as instincts go, they can be stronger or weaker drives among the entire population of cats, but either way is normal.
Spaying may not improve the attitude towards the other, especially if the mother cat's drive to push her daughter away was strong before. All of the mother cats I've had experience with allowed all of their former kittens to remain around and all were friendly with each other. I also wish to mention, the last cat I had who kittened (Shadow in 2004) was super-friendly and love-y with all of our cats UNTIL she birthed and then she became a protective demon so I made certain to keep everyone seperated. After her kittens were weaned and taken to the adoption center she returned to her friendly and easy-going self.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabell
How long will it take after the kittens are born before we can get her fixed?

Hi,

your cat can come into heat as soon as 2-3 weeks after giving birth, when she's stillfeeding her litter. So make sure she doesn't get out anymore untill she's been neutered. She could be fixed after her Kittens have been weaned- around 6 weeks after the birth. If you can keep her indoors and don't own an intact tom you could wait a little bit longer.

Ghost will let you know if she's OK with Lexus being around her litter or not- if no you should seperate her and her litter from Lexus as long as the kittens are very young- this way Ghost will be less stressed. I don't really think Ghost will let any other cat hurt her babies.

Getting Lexus neutered may help their relationship, so it's worth a try. At any rate you should get her neutered to minimize her risk of contracting an uterine infection (pyometra), as un- neutered cats who haven't been neutered are prone to this. It will also reduce her risk seven fold of having a mammary cancer later on in life.

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page