New puppy, feisty cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

New puppy, feisty cat.

I don't know how many of you aw my last post but I have a two year old orange tabby cat named Holly and my mom has a dog named Braxton. Well she adopted a puppy yesterday. We locked her up for the day to get the dog settled in and at this moment Holly is blocked off by a baby gate and looking into the kitchen at the new puppy. The puppy is 4 months old from a shelter but from what I've heard he went into the cat room there and just sniffed them and walked out. It's Holly I'm worried about. She's attacked Braxton before (he's jealous of the new pup, but this is the cat forum ) and I'm worried how she'll deal with the new puppy. Not to mention the new puppy is a tiny bit bigger than Braxton and will get bigger. But what would you suggest for introductions? We had another dog previously (two at a time) but we had to put our previous dog down. The dog (Sueby) basically owned the house as her territory so Holly and Braxton got along much better. So Holly has lived in a two dog household, just that she's very territorial now. She was hissing at the dog earlier but now she's just "calmly" watching him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM

Re: New puppy, feisty cat.

Well, my dog Smokey was about half a year old when we got my cat Snickers. We just put Snickers up stairs with Smokey, and we just kept an eye on Smokey to make sure he didn't hurt Snickers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if it's Holly I worry about being hurt. Sure the puppy bites playfully, but HOPEFULLY he'll outgrow it before he can do serious damage to her. It's just near impossible to cut her claws unless she's sleeping. Thing is I used to be able to sneak up to her while she was asleep and do it. Now if I so much as move she knows I left and is right behind me. If we could keep her claws trimmed the attacks wouldn't be as bad. You can just never tell with her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Cool Cat

Holly is getting her bluff in early. By doing it now, the puppy will always consider her bigger and the boss.
How do I know? Our 9 lb Zoey is the boss at our house - and my dogs are 82, 88 and 100 lbs. Zoey gets the comfortable dog pillows if she wants them. The dogs are careful to step over or around her - no accidents in 3 years.

For the puppy's sake, you do need to trim Holly's claws ASAP. Carry the trimmers with you, at all times, until you get it done.
And I didn't leave them alone together, without us around, for 3 months. We separated them when we left, for everyone's sake. I knew I could stop when I called for the dogs to go to their room and Zoey was the first one in there. (She has lots of high spots in there, plus a pass-through that she can escape the room thorugh.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Holly's got a vet trip on Monday so she'll getting her claws cut there. After that it's all me. The two dogs will be accompanying but she'll be in her carrier so she won't be able to get to them. We always keep Holly locked in my room when we're out because we might come back to some badly shredded furniture otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page