Will leash training my cat make him more likely to spray? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Will leash training my cat make him more likely to spray?

I remember reading somewhere that outdoor cats are more likely to spray than indoor cats because they are exposed to the smells and markings of other cats outdoors. I'd love to bring my cat out on a leash and have been getting him used to the harness. Does anyone know if there is a chance that this may cause him to feel the need to "mark his territory?"

I don't know if any of this information matters, but just in case:
- He is 12 months old
- He is neutered (although it was done late, at 7 months...he wasn't mine at the time)
- He has not sprayed since I've had him (I got him at 7 months, just after he was neutered)
- He is an only cat
- I know that there are definitely stray cats (potentially unfixed) that roam around my backyard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Will leash training my cat make him more likely to spray?

I don't think it will make him spray honestly. I take Jack outside and to the Petsmart and he has no desire to spray, he was neutered young but there are many unneutered males in our neighborhood, we leave our windows open so the smell would come in the windows.

Also Harley wasn't neutered until a year when he arrived at the shelter and he has never sprayed, coming into a house with another cat, a male cat none the less.

Leslie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Will leash training my cat make him more likely to spray?

Nito and I go on walks occasionally. He was neutered at 4 months. Two of my other cats DO spray (Elfie and Fella) outdoors (Elfie does it indoors too sometimes... ). I have seen Nito smell an object that was freshly sprayed. He did the little open mouth thing to get a better sense of the smell, and then proceeded along, ignoring it.

So there is an example of a kitty exposed to spray marks, who still has never ever sprayed. Indoors or out. Of course, if your kitty is the territorial kind, smelling spray marks could trigger him. But I just don't think it's that likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page