Fighting Cats I need help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Fighting Cats I need help!

Hi, I'm new here but am in desperate help. I have 2 cats and one of my cats who I've have for 10 years ran away from home last wednesday. Last night we found him and brought him back home, he had been missing for 9 days. He was filthy dirty and wet from rain so we gave him a bath immediately. But since has been gone 9 days our other cat has forgotten who he was and keeps chasing and attacking him, like hardcore and I don't know what to do. Please help!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Fighting Cats I need help!

Welcome, and we can help identify your problem, but the 'fix' may take some time.

First, you need to understand that the kitty (#1) who has returned DOES NOT SMELL like the kitty who originally left, so kitty #2 WILL NOT RECOGNIZE him due to him not smelling the same.

Next, you need to seperate the cats. Every day (or every few hours) switch the cats in/out of the rooms you are keeping them in so their scents intermingle. You can hurry this along by using two small-ish towels and rubbing them over kitty #1, then rubbing both over kitty #2 and repeating this back/forth a few more times and then leaving each kitty one of the towels to become familiar with the scent.

Finally, let this take the time it will take. Do not rush it. After a bit of swapping scent with the towels, and trading back/forth who is staying where, begin to crack the door so they can sniff noses and maybe play footsie (if they are interested). If they are, and it goes well, then you could open the door just a little more (I like to keep my hand on the edge of the door and use my knuckes at the door jamb to hold the door open a specific width) so they can sniff noses and have more eye contact. When that goes well, then you can see about letting them see each other more fully. Sometimes, feeding both treats in sight of each other but apart, can help get them past their 'animosity' while they enjoy their snack.

Best of luck,
Heidi

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Cat

Same problem here. We have two cats (brothers) who have lived together since birth. We took one to the vet yesterday and when he returned the other cat hisses and growls at him. We had this happen once year under the exact same circumstance, but the other cat came around after a few hours. It's been almost 24 hours and our cat is still hissing at the cat who went to the vet.

I separated them for an hour when I first got Baxter home from the vet. Albert hung around outside the door and when I opened it, he began growling and hissing again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Premier Cat

Newt, did you do anything to help each cat recognize each others' smell, mix each cat's scents together and/or mask the odd smell?

Rubbing towels over both cats to swap scents.
Switch back/forth between rooms.
Hold the door open just a crack to let them sniff noses and judge how well they are interacting.
Place a drop of vanilla on the back of each of their necks.
Heck, even catnip they could roll in would be good.

One day is obviously NOT enough. Go back and take the time it is going to take for their odors to return to normal and be comfortable with each other again.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Cat

Hi Heidi,

We tried the following:

Rubbing towels over both cats to swap scents.
Switch back/forth between rooms.
Hold the door open just a crack to let them sniff noses and judge how well they are interacting.

Only the cat that stayed home is hissing. It's been going on for two days now. What's odd is the other cat (Albert) doesn't try to smell Baxter, he just hisses at him when he sees him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by ForJazz
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Premier Cat

Ah! Actually, I think that sounds *very* promising! Baxter sounds like he is laid back, he's "home" and everything is normal for him, and if Albert just hisses when he sees him, it is because Bax came back smelling different. Give it a few more days and they should be just fine with each other. You could also try to encourage them to be near each other and rewarding their efforts by feeding treats w/in sight of each other, encouraging them to come up to you together to pet one with each hand and/or give a few treats. Sometimes you can even engage them in play and they will forget their hissing-behavior.

In the future, just keep in mind that if they go to the vet, this could happen again. You can try to mitigate it by keeping them completely seperate after the initial return and put a spot of vanilla on them to help mask any strange odors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page