Litter Box Training Problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Litter Box Training Problems

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I am in need of some advice. I have owned cats my whole life and have never experienced any problems with litter training any of them... until now that is. I have two 9 month old sisters who have been extremely difficult to litter train. We have two jumbo sized litter boxes in different areas of our house for them. The litter boxes are cleaned daily and they are plenty big enough for the cats so I don't believe there is a problem there. Unfortunately the cats don't always make it to the box... They figure that as long as they are in the same room as the litter box, it's close enough. Sometimes they will go right beside the litter box but quite often they will go just anywhere in the room even if it's no where near the litter box. And for some odd reason, anytime the downstairs bathroom door is left open, they will immediately go to the washroom in the shower or on the mat right in front of the shower... yet they take no interest in the bathroom on the main level. Is there anything that I can do to help encourage the cats to actually use their litter boxes? I have looked into the cat attract litter and unfortunately I am unable to find it where I am located as I am in the middle of nowhere. So I'm just looking for some other ideas on how I can resolve this litter box problem. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Litter Box Training Problems

Welcome and I hope we may be able to help you.
First, the number one reason for a cat deliberately peeing outside of the litterbox, and many times one of the behaviors seen is peeing on smooth surfaces in addition to right beside the litterbox, is some form of a UTI. Urinary Tract Infections are painful and can be anything from crystals in the urine to an infection, which could occur singley or in pairs. These are treated with diet changes and sometimes anti-biotics. The only way to know for certain is for a vet to analyse their urine.

UTIs are painful and the cat who has one is doing its' best to avoid the 'painful litterbox' and try to find other places to pee, hoping that peeing there it won't hurt the cat. Soft fabric, smooth surfaces and sometimes even right in front of their person.

Have you tried a different litter? Some cats are sensitive to odor and feel. Some even prefer to have a litterbox lined with folded newspaper, or a small rag-towel. Sometimes it is just a matter of finding the material your cat wishes to use as a litterbox.

As for the bathmat issue...I had a cat who was undergoing kidney failure and would pee on the bathmats. I currently have a devoted bathmat pee-er, who just feels the need to pee on ANY rubber-backed rug, no matter where it is placed. So, those nice rugs for me to stand on in the kitchen are gone and the bathroom doors are kept close to keep him from peeing on those rugs.

Best wishes for a quick and happy resolution of the problem,
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. The thing is that these cats have no problem peeing in their litterbox... the problem is with them not wanting to poop in the litter box. So I don't think it could be a UTI problem. Neither cat has peed anywhere aside from the litter box since they were really young kittens but on an average day they will have several poops on the floor in the rooms where their litter boxes are. We have tried several different types and brands of litter and so far nothing seems to change their habits. I picked up yet another litter box today and more new brands of litter to test try with them but so far, no interest in them. Any other suggestions or ideas to try would be wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy13
Any other suggestions or ideas to try would be wonderful.
Oh. *blink*blink* That is odd. Hm...
I think bringing in the second litterbox could be helpful. Some cats do not like to poo where they pee. I know it is odd, but who knows the mind of a cat? I only have one other suggestion and that would be to try to find the largest litterbox you can, so they have plenty of room to bury their treasures.

I have only two for (currently) 8 cats. One is a standard "jumbo" size with a hood and if that one is classified as jumbo, then the next one (which my husband built) is gargantuan! It looks like a Hope Chest and is 2'x2'x4' and holds about 80# of litter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page