Help With Cat Urinating on Carpet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Help With Cat Urinating on Carpet

Hi All,

I know this topic has been talked to death, but my issue is one I can't seem to find an answer for. So here it is...

Every couple days, the cat pees on the carpet near the front door. I've caught him several times, and upon inspection, it isn't that much liquid, usually a little puddle about the size of a half dollar. I know it isn't a health problem. Have taken him to vet for the full battery of tests, and he was clean. Also don't think it is the litter because I regularly change the litter and even add a little bit of baking soda between changes to keep it smelling fresh.

I've tried a bunch of stuff from this site...deep cleaning the carpets, vinegar, aluminum foil, putting a litter box on the mark and slowly moving it to the right spot, etc. You name it and I've probably tried it. No matter what, I just can't stop him from hitting that area.

Have a new theory, maybe someone can help shed some light on it. I live in an apartment building and my apartment is right next to the stairwell. There are at least 4 people with dogs on my floor who have to walk right by my front door to get outside. I'm wondering if this could be a territorial thing between my cat and the neighbors' dogs. Maybe one or more of those dogs has made their mark outside my apartment and poor kitty is trying to take back his territory? If that's a possibility, how can I stop the scent of those dogs?

And advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Help With Cat Urinating on Carpet

You might very well be right...is he neutered?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, he is neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Premier Cat

If he has been cleared of having a UTI, then I would tend to agree with your assessment of him trying to mark his area to tell the dogs this place is "his". If the dogs are marking outside your door, you could scrub the outside door area and treat it with a enzymatic cleaner that would remove the dogs' odor-marking. Now, this may just encourage the dogs to pee every time they go past because their scent has been removed and they feel they need to re-claim it, or they may not be marking it at all and your kitty is reacting instinctively (marking his area) to the sounds of the dogs passing.

Maybe you could try this, though I know it is probably not very eye-appealing:
Use one of those large carpet protectors, the plastic with the poke-y nubs on one side to grip the carpet, or place a very large square of carpet-protector used for office chairs at computer stations.
Clean the carpet very well with the enzymatic cleaner, allowing the cleaner to air-dry to fully allow the enzymes to break down the odor causing material. Several applications may be necessary to remove the smell entirely. Allow it to fully dry and then place the plastic carpet protector over the area.
This will be easier to clean than if the kitty pees on the carpet. You could also provide him a small hand-towel to pee on in that area. I know it isn't sanitary or visually appealing, but if you cannot stop the triggers for him pee-ing there and adjust his behavior, at least you can make it so it incurs the least amount of damage and ease of cleaning for you to lower your stress-burden and iritation-factor when he does it.
Best of luck,
Heidi

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Can you recommend an enzymatic cleaner? Never used one before, and would like to find the best (and cheapest) option.

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Remove the carpet. problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page