5 year old birman cat weeing out of litter tray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

5 year old birman cat weeing out of litter tray

Hi

We've had our 5 year old birman cat since she was a kitten, which is about 4 and a half years. She is a house cat and very rarely goes out. She was trained by the breeder to use a litter tray and that is what she has done all the time we've had her.

Mostly she goes in the ltter tray with no fuss or mess. But on occasions there used to be a little bit wee outside the litter tray. At first we put this down to the tray not being clean enough, but we now religiously keep it clean for her. Lately it has beeen getting worse. The tray we have is an enclosed one with an entry door at one end. When she goes in for a wee she goes in head first and wees to the front of the tray, by the entrance. I have actually observed her going to the toilet and she likes to stck her bum in the air and completely misses the tray which results in the plastic sheet that we have placed under the tray getting wet.

I have tried different litter type and pushing the litter to the rear of the tray to try to encourage her to go at the back, but she just scoops it all to the front. Is there any way I can retrain her to go at the back of the tray?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Re: 5 year old birman cat weeing out of litter tray

I suggest a bigger tray with higher sides. I use a storage tote box that is 18"w x 30L x 12H.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Premier Cat

I agree. She is doing what she is supposed to do, the problem is with what you have for her to do it in. It isn't that what you have is wrong, only that it isn't suitable for her and the manner in which she pees.

Get a larger litterpan area for her to step in and encourage her to turn around, higher sides and/or a storage-tote/lid with an access opening cut in the top of the lid so she enters from the top, jumping down and jumping up/out. Be sure to use a large one so she can poop/pee at the 'ends' and not in the middle where she would jump down into it and possibly mash a stinky into her feet when she landed.

I had a cat who would start to pee in a squat position and slowly raise up until he was spraying. What a mess when I had a tray on the floor next to the bed (for foster kittens who left that day and I left the bedroom door open) and hadn't put a hood on it....soaked bedding! He was doing it right (for him) it was just me who hadn't taken the steps to contain how he preferred to 'go'. Now, all of my new cats learn to use a large covered litterbox.
heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

That's how Cinderella pees, too. Bum in the air like she just don't care!

Litter boxes with higher sides solves the problem.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Cool Cat

When I was getting ready to move I packed up my big litter box and bought some small disposable trays for the ladies to use.

They neatly climbed into the trays, scratched a bit, and then did their business -- right over the edge of the tray, since the tray was so much smaller than what they were used to.

They have very good litter box habits overall. But as far as they were concerned, their feet were in the tray, so that counted.

I concur with the suggestion of bigger boxes with higher walls.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Quote:
I have tried different litter type and pushing the litter to the rear of the tray to try to encourage her to go at the back, but she just scoops it all to the front. Is there any way I can retrain her to go at the back of the tray?
Please, let me know when you figure this out! I have an edge-pooper, who luckily keeps his wee contained. His stinkers... that's a different story. He ALWAYS misses! The worst part is, he goes in, turns all around and makes a huge deal out of digging a whole. Then he repositions himself and sticks his butt out the door of the covered litter box. Then he can't figure out why the turd just won't bury!

I am going to move him to a very large top-entry tote box, just as was suggested. Problem is, in my current living situation, there is no room. So I will have to deal with misplaced poops until August
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page