More Kitty Pee Questions... Getting Desparate! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

More Kitty Pee Questions... Getting Desparate!

Hello, my apologies if this is long! I have been trying to get ahold of the vet for about a week now for more ideas on what to do next. We have two cats 1) Khia - female, 4 year old spayed 2) Kinsey - male, 10 months, neutered. Both are indoor only. The cats get along fairly well, Kinsey loooves Khia and she mostly tolerates him. We got Kinsey this summer and although I know that he should have been neutered sooner, life (and my morning sickness!) happened... he started marking and that week we had him neutered (that was at the beginning of February). A urine analysis was also done at that time too which was "perfectly normal".

The marking dramatically got better (and we got rid of things that we could ie: rugs and had other things professionally cleaned) but now there are two spots that he continues to mark. One was fairly easy to block his access to. The other is not so much. It is right behind the bedroom door. Our bedroom is where litter and food are primarily kept so that the dog cannot get to it and because Khia prefers our room. My first thought was to put the litter box on top of it - however then we can't open the door. We tried the enzyme cleaners (2 types), pheromone sprays, tin foil, sticky tape, towels, placing his food on top of it etc. We just had the carpets professionally cleaned with hyrdocyde (sp?) and have had him confined to the 1/2 bath and laundry room and he cries and cries because he's used to sleeping with us.

He constantly uses the litter box - 98% of the time. When he marks it is about quarter sized and he squats. When we catch him we move him to the litter box.

I am frustrated, my human baby is due at the end of the month (although I doubt this change would have caused its I have been pregnant then entire time we have had him and we have not set up a nursery so there have been no changes in the house or our room) and my husband is running out of patience...

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Re: More Kitty Pee Questions... Getting Desparate!

I know some friends that have four cats, all different ages and the youngest started peeing to mark territory. A suggestion is to purchase a Feliway pheromone dispenser. It looks like a scented plug in, and works the same. It heats up a small bottle of kitty pheromones and is supposed to calm them down a bit. The four cats are all doing well now. The Feliway can be a bit pricey but worth it. You just replace the little bottle once a month and the kitties stay calm and less territorial. You can buy Feliway at both Petsmart or Petco.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page