Bringing in a new cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Bringing in a new cat.

Hello, I've been having some cat issues recently, here's the story.

I adopted a cat from a shelter, he was 4 months old when I adopted him, we got along really well, I could even take him out on the street (I have taken him to a couple of big parties even) and he would not get nervous or anything and he would always fall asleep on my side and sometimes even put his paw on my cheek (which was rather cute). He has a very easy going temper for the most part, he even plays with the chihuahua my b/f has. He is about to be a year old now and he has developed bigger testicles and sometimes I can see he is excited. I have been thinking about neutering him but I didn't want his behavior to change or for him to get fat and since there is no danger of him getting a cat pregnant i figured i'd wait a bit more.

Now, about a month and a half ago I saw a little kitten on the street and brought her home, i thought since she was a female there wouldn't be much of a problem, I took her to the vet for her shots and the vet told me she was about 3 months old and shouldn't have a problem getting along with my first cat...Well, the first couple of weeks they kept fighting but I figured that was normal, now they don't fight as often but she often bothers the first cat while he is sleeping and they get into nasty fights so i have to break it up.

Pretty much since I brought in the new cat, my former cat (lol) has been going up on the roof and meowing really loudly and incessantly, he seems annoyed all the time and now never wants to sleep next to me, nor does he lick my nose like he used to .
The new cat seems to be a lot more feisty, she meows loudly whenever I tell her to stop getting into left out food (she even eats plain oatmeal and cantaloupe seeds) and brings out her claws at the slightest confrontation.

I am not sure if my cat is mad at me for bringing a new cat and how i could go about it. Or maybe it just happened to be at the same time his "puberty" kicked in? lol
I feed them both at the same time, I pet them both, I even bring him into my bed but he leaves... at the same time I don't want to get rid of the new cat...
Any advice? Would neutering the cat be a solution? or would it just mellow him out completely?

Does the story make any sense?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Re: Bringing in a new cat.

A suggestion I have is a Feliway pheromone dispenser. It plugs in the wall like a scented plug in and a bottle of kitty pheromones goes in. It lasts for a month but what it does is calms down cats. It won't make them drowsy, just a bit more mild and tolerant. It is kind of pricey so it may not be a good choice but it works within the first day you plug it in. It needs a replacement bottle once monthly. Put it in an area where the kitties are usually hanging out.

It can be purchased at Petco or Petsmart and probably other places as well.

Hope it helps!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Bringing in a new cat.

Contrary to old wives tales, neutering does not make a cat fat and lazy. Cats naturally slow down as they age, you can see changes in energy levels at about 6 months, a year and 2 years. It's up to you to regulate the food so they don't gain weight. You can also help with the exercise by initiating interactive play sessions with Da Bird or a laser pointer.

Neutering your boy will have many advantages; intact males tend to spray the house, their urine is really strong smelling, they are subject to diseases like testicular cancer. Since your guy goes outside leaving him intact will encourage him to roam looking for females, fight with other males cats, and impregnate any unspayed females contributing to cat overpopulation problems that are already out of control.

In addition, your female can go into heat anytime now. It's typically around 7-8 months, but can happen as early as 4 months. You're likely to find out she's in season when you catch them mating at which time it will be too late. Again contributing to cat overpopulation.

I suspect you have a combination of things going on regarding his personality, first is the fact that he isn't neutered, his primary desire is to be finding girls, not hanging out with his mom. Second is the new addition, which always changes dynamics.

So yes, I think neutering him needs to be your first step, they only changes you'll see will be for the good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page