New kitty hiding under the bed. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
New kitty hiding under the bed.

Hello everyone,

I was an active member of this forum a few years ago, and now due to a new addition, I'm back! My personal life has changed a lot since I posted last, but I won't blather on about that, hehe. The cat part of it is, though, that due to a breakup, I'd gone from having three cats to one. Sigma is about six years old and a neutered male. He made the trip to The Netherlands (where I live now) with me flawlessly, but we (my new boyfriend and I) felt he was getting lonely after having a buddy his whole life. I've been here six months now, so we'd been thinking about getting another cat to keep Sigma company. Well, it turned out that this friend of my boyfriend's sister has cystic fibrosis and has to give away her cats (7 of them). They are her treasures and she's very upset about it. So we offered to take one of them and give him a great home and also give Sigma a buddy. So the new guy is this adorable orange kitty named Whisky (their name, hehe) and he's about 18 months old. She told us he was social and friendly, but might hide for the first while, which he's doing under the bed :/ I've tried to give him his space and be quiet and I've left food in there for him and I've kept Sigma out for now. Sigma is very curious tho and really wants to make a new friend. Their initial meeting was great, but Whisky is pretty skittish right now. We just brought him home about 13 hours ago tho. So how long do you think he'll stay under there? And at what point do you think I should be worried?

Thanks for your help,
~t

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Re: New kitty hiding under the bed.

Congrats on your new addition. There's really no way to tell how long it will take him to come out, typically a couple days, but I've heard of situations where it was much longer. Leave food, water and a litter box in close proximity to the bed and keep Sigma completely out of the room. Once Whisky starts coming out and is comfortable you can begin a proper introduction process with Sigma. Here's a good article on intros and you can google "cat introduction" for further reading:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Re: New kitty hiding under the bed.

Thanks for the link! It's been a while since I've introduced cats to one another, so it was great to refresh my memory.

Just thought I'd give an update. We managed to lure Whisky out from under the bed and gave him his own space in the bathroom. He's got food, water, litterbox and a bed in there. His previous owner said he adores cheese (in small amounts, of course), so we gave him some teeny pieces of that and he perked right up. I had him out in the hallway, away from Sigma, and he was purring and rubbing up against me After a while of that, we let Whisky into the main room of the house to explore and put Sigma in his house in the same room. After about half an hour, we let Sigma out and stayed with them to see how it'd go. Whisky ended up hiding under the microwave stand and Sigma just watched him until he got bored. We separated them again when we went out to dinner, (-insert story I will tell in Cat Tails because it's completely ridiculous-), and let them be together again for a few hours once we got home. Whisky was a bit braver and they ended up sitting quite close to one another. Sometimes there'd be a bit of growling and hissing when Sigma got too close, but generally they were sitting together nicely. Whisky came and cuddled a bit on the couch and really started to feel more comfortable. Sigma was sitting on my boyfriend's sister's lap and watching him, but seemed to be okay. He'd get really curious if Whisky jumped up on the windowsill or something tho, and Sigma got to the point where he really wanted to play with him. But Whisky didn't take Sigma's pounce-at-him approach as playing and they got into a little tussle. At that point I separated them again and Sigma had the run of the apartment while Whisky stayed in the bathroom overnight. He's still in there and I'll let him out for a while again once my boyfriend wakes up.

So yeah, I think he's coming around. Much quicker than I expected I'll post some pictures of them later today.

Thanks for your help and patience in reading my posts!
~t

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page