Resident cat terrified of new kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Resident cat terrified of new kitten

My 8 m.o. kitten can't wait to meet my adult Himalayan cat. The kitten is meowing and complaining in the guest room right now because she wants to meet my other cat so badly! I've had the kitten for almost 2 weeks now and I've been getting the two accustomed to each others' smells using towels, etc. and all has gone reasonably well until now.

Today I tried letting the kitten out and putting my adult cat in the kitten's room. She was absolutely terrified, the likes of which I've never seen out of her, and she is a fearful cat by nature... she stayed near the door and just meowed and growled pathetically, even though the kitten is friendly and curious and just wants to meet her.

Several times I have opened the door a tiny crack with one cat on either side. The kitten is always good-natured and friendly, but my Himalayan hisses repeatedly. However, when the door is closed, the Himalayan will sit by the door and listen to what the kitten is doing, as if she is interested.

The kitten is ultra sweet and loves attention, and I'm getting tired of keeping her cooped up in the guest room. My Himalayan's fickle behavior is really starting to irritate the **** out of me. She acts interested yet hisses and bolts when I give her the chance to see the kitten. I'm getting rather fed up with her.

Should I be punishing this behavior? What steps should I take next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Resident cat terrified of new kitten

No, don't punish her, she's only doing what comes naturally. Since you've been going through all the normal processes, I would say the next step should be to put the kitten in a carrier in the kittens room and let your existing cat come in and investigate.

There is going to be hissing. The main goal of an introduction is to eliminate aggression, get them in a room and not have a fight. If they can co-exist with a little hissing it will work itself out. When I brought Holly in, Maggie would hiss whenever she saw her, but eventually she would let her get closer without hissing and only hissed when Holly got in her personal space. A hiss is a warning, it's a 'stay away from me kid'. The kitten will understand and back off, eventually her charm and exuberance should win over the other cat.

BTW, it would be easier to respond if we had names

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Sorry, the Himalayan is Lilith and the kitten is Loona.

Lilith has been hiding under the bed ever since 'the incident' earlier today, it looks like. I went out and ran some errands, and bought a bottle of Rescue Remedy and gave her some when I came home less than an hour ago, but she immediately went back under and hasn't come out yet.

I'm rather disappointed by her behavior... I really thought we were past this hiding under the bed nonsense. She's been exposed to Loona's scent for over two weeks now (since before I even brought her home). I'm getting really tired of leaving the kitten in the guest room, because she cries/whines and gets lonely in there. I want her in my room with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

You can try some Feliway room diffusers. They contain a synthetic pheromone that is supposed to be comforting to cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Cat

Im sorry things arent working out for you. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Im in the same situation except its been 3 months now. The resident cat name is azores and the newbie is jadedea. Azores seems to be constantly upset about her presence and meows more than anything. We have the feliway diffusers but that didnít work and I got spirit essences and it seems to work for jadedea but not for azores. When I give them the spirit essences, jadedea immediately wants to get close to azores and get to know her, but azores freaks out hisses and sometimes attack jade. We tried to reintroduce them, failed, swap scents, fail, and everything else. Jade is willing to accept azores but azores has problems. And just like you, having one of them locked up in the room gets annoying and worrysome. They both cry and scratch the doors all day.

Im starting to wonder what will be worse. Locking them up and hearing them cry all night long and day, or letting them loose and hearing them fight each other all day and night long?

If the feliway doesnít work, give spirit essence a try!

hth
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Are they actually fighting or is it just some hissing and spitting and swatting? There's a big difference, fighting includes eerie moans, growls and the fur literally flies. If it's the latter then let them work it between them, keeping them separated isn't going to help.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, I think I will try a couple more times, then buy the Feliway if things still don't work out.

Doodlebug: I haven't let them be physically next to each other yet, only through the crack in the door. Lilith (the adult) was hissing and doing that 'eerie moan' type of thing. I am waiting to take Lilith to the groomer tomorrow, where she is going to get a nail trim, before letting them come face to face.

Lilith's behavior really doesn't make sense to me... I mean, she knows the kitten is here. She can hear and smell the kitten... she has seen the kitten before, and she even sits outside the door for periods of time, listening... yet when they actually see each other, she freaks out?

I think I will try bringing the kitten in a carrier, and see how Lilith reacts. Probably badly, but it's worth a try I guess.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry Ladylilith, I was answering the post above mine. I still think putting Loona in the carrier is the next step. But wait at least a day or two after Lilith goes to the groomer, that's traumatic, give her time to recover before taking the next step on the intro. Make sure to let Loona roam the house while Lilith is at the groomer, getting her scent all over everything...

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yeah, this is her first time to the groomer... her "mane" has some matting in it, but I hope it's not serious enough to warrant a lion cut, otherwise nobody will be able to take her seriously any more

I am planning to give her Rescue Remedy before the car trip, then cross my fingers and hope for the best. She is so fearful of new/different things, and she really freaks herself out in the car Trembling, panting, drooling... the works.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Cat

its sort of what your talking about. i hear the moans, ive seen the fur fly and ive seen them swatting. sometimes jade gets on her hind legs to defend herself.

now are they rolling in the dirt biting each other? nope. but they are doing some fierce swatting then. both have scratches on their face, surface punctures. azores isnt losing fur but jade is. but jade is a long hair, so i guess its kind of hard not too. but there are days when you hear the growling, the hissing and the loud screeching and then you hear that one cray that makes you want to get up, and sure enough, youll see a new scratch in the fur. afterwards they chase each other. this morning for 2 hours they did that, chase, swatting, hissing.

sometimes its because jade likes to stand somewhere where azores needs to walk by, and instead of just walking by, she starts a fight.

so is that fighting or just swatting, and is it normal? i have a post on hear that talks about it, if you want to get into more detail so this doesnt take over lady's post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page