How do you introduce adult cats/train to use a litter box? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to ericalynn429
How do you introduce adult cats/train to use a litter box?

First off, i foster and rescue pregnant cats/ and orphaned kittens for people who plan to take them to the shelter. I currently have 1 pregnant cat whom ive had for almost a week and I just rescued a mom kitty with her 2 week old kittens. A local vet around me does free wellness exams so everyone got checked out and given a clean bill of health this evening.
Momma kitty got out of my room (where she will be kept) and her and pregnant kitty ran up to eachother and hissed...i quickly interevined and grabbed one before anything happened ( pregnant kitty was the first to hiss if that matters ) Anyway, i plan on keep both mom cats and get them spayed when the kittens are weaned. I would like them to get along so that i can keep them both. Should i wait till the kittens are gone before introducing them? Will they kill eachothers kittens? They both get along fabulously with my Maltese; hopefully they can learn to like eachother.

Also, Momma kitty was an indoor/outdoor cat. I do not like to let cats outside, i would just be to scared that something would happen to them. Her previous owner said that she does not use a litter box and she has been letting her outside to go potty. (Hopefully momma is not pregnant again! ) I will NOT let her out, will she automatically go to the litter box ? I only have one so maybe she will see the other cat has been going in there and will catch on to the idea?

Any advice would be appreciated!

<3 Life Isnt about finding Perfection<3 Its about taking what you have and making it perfect <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: How do you introduce adult cats/train to use a litter box?

I think you should keep them seperated and provide each with their own litterbox. I have only had minor problems getting ferals to find/recognize/use the litterbox. Before they finally figure out what it is for (I will put a pee-clump and poo from the other litterbox partially covered to smell and give them a clue) I have had a few 'accidents' in the sink, shower or on the bathmat. Once they figured out the litterbox, they were golden and had no more accidents.

Some cats can raise their litters together. The farmcats would birth theirs in a large, carpet covered cat-house that was built for them and they would each nurse whatever kittens came to the milk-bar. Shadow's litter had just gone to the adoption place when CalicoBob brought me her two kittens (about 7-9wks old) in a rain storm. Shadow and CalicoBob got along right away and both would clean, supervise and reprimand CB's kittens. I do not know how well Shadow would have accepted CB/kittens if her own kittens had still been with her.

Best bet, I think, would be to seperate them. Shadow loved all my housecats when I brought her in and she was pregnant. 10 days later she kittened and became the typical defensive and protective Mamma-Cat and would hiss outrageously if the other cats came to the door to sniff noses, so I kept everyone seperate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page