Are your cats this friendly? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Are your cats this friendly?

I always thought that cats were scared of strangers and preferred to keep to themselves and stay out of the way when strangers arrive at their house. Not my cats. Whenever the doorbell rings the cats run to the front door to see who it is even if I was playing with them. One of my cats likes to jump on strangers in order to get closer to their heads and rub up against it. You'd think she was deprived of love. When I started having 5 friends over (whom they never met before) to play boardgames my cats would lie on the table even though we were seated around it. We would get them off the table of course but throughout the night they still try to jump on the table and jump on my friends chairs.

Even knowing this about them I thought that they would leave the cable repairman alone when he was running wires in my house. But no, they wanted to know what he was doing while standing only a foot away to investigate and on one occasion one of them tried to jump on his back. I had to lock them in a room until he left.

Anyone else have cats this social?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
hpi

Re: Are your cats this friendly?

My cat is the total opposite.

She's a dominant little thing and she won't back down from strangers. Every time a friend or more come over she signals me to pick her up and hold her over my shoulder so that she could use her intimidation tactics at eye level. She hisses and lets out those angry meows and growls and she goes with her paws to attack. Shes only bitten one of my friends but it was a warning bite on his arm which still drew blood. She always manages to intimidate my friends and let them know that their in her territory
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Premier Cat

More than half of our cats want to greet new people, mug them for pets/loves and watch the interesting new person. Squirrely-Jo is my "WalMart Greeter" cat. She comes running to ANYONE new who comes inside, demanding they acknowledge her. She will continue to cry/meow until they either pet her, pick her up or at least look at her and greet her.
After they've done so, she feels her job has been acomplished.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Nito is the same- he doesn't like loud boisterous people, but fully enjoys it when I have people over and they admire him and tell him how cute he is. He comes running to the door to greet anyone who comes to my room when he is alone, but if I'm in there he only runs to the door to greet my boyfriend. For strangers and people he's not around much, he prefers to sit on his cat tree acting cute, making THEM come to HIM for strokes, playing, and admiration.

If there are people he doesn't like, he sits in his little club-house (the base of his tree is a box) and watches them from there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Cool Cat

Fergie loves everyone who comes over.... Recently my former employer had the nerve to take offense at something he thought I did to hurt the company, and he called in a favor from the police chief, asking him to send a detective over to my house and ask me some questions and scare me. When the detective came in, Fergie jumped straight into his arms, making him drop his notebook and pen, and then nearly made him break his neck tripping him on the stairs. She's not usually this forward, and I'm still not sure if she was trying to attack him for me or be so cute that he would skip the hour of stressing me out. While he was talking to me she settled on the back of the chair he was sitting in, basically curled around his neck with each paw resting on his neck, claws at the ready. Normally she just flops over on her back on the floor and meows for a belly rub while Fern runs away to hide under the bed!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page