Can cats have problems socializing-Can they truely be doofus - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Can cats have problems socializing-Can they truely be doofus

two questions that puzzle me right now.
i intensely watched my two cats last night to get to the bottom of their cat fights.

as i said in a previous posts i have two cats, the resident cat azores and the newbie jadedea.

azores is the one mostly attacking jade by hissing and swapping at her. sometimes they both go at it and chase each other to other rooms to again hiss and paw at each other. occasionally they draw blood and they got the scars (in the face) to prove it.

jadedea seems passive aggressive or stupid. i cant figure out which, thus the second question. she stands there and allows azores to get mad and attack her. then she gets close to azores like she wants to cuddle or something and azores attacks her again. thus the first question.

so i jade stupid or socially enept? does she not get the hints or what?

i swear if she stopped standing in the middle of doorways and hallways she would have less scratches and less problems. im starting to wonder if she likes to be attacked. and she doesnt just do that with azores shes does it with us too. i sit at my computer desk for the most part at home. i have a chair on wheels. guess where she likes to stand and lay at? right behind the chair or underneath the chair where i cant see her. one of these days imma run over her by accident.

she then stands in the hallways in places of shadows. so if your not actively seeking out cats you will step on her or sort of kick her.

why does she subject herself to that? its like shes not getting the message "Danger Will Robinson Danger!"

Azores although white fur and MUCH easier to see, always meows when we get to close and moves out of the way if it seems shes about to get stepped on. she doesnt 'hang out' behind rolling chairs and if shes in the dark and it looks like we are trying to find her, guess what? she meows, and 9 times out 10 she walks in the like as if to say "im here!"

update-i changed the title to be less sharp as some are not ok with the title.

i think i have an addiction. im addicted to adopting cats? i think im turning into that old maid with 20 cats that i never thought i would be.

i want to keep jadedea and bring in a male kitten. we (hubby and i) are going kitten shopping this weekend. i would like to get two kittens, and it wouldnt be that much expensive, but im afraid im gonna give azores a heart attack. i want to go volunteer at a shelter so i can satisfy this addiction but im afraid its not enough lmao. maybe i should change professions?

anyways, yeah i want a big cat family, maybe ill be interested in human babies but for now i just want kittens, a whole *&[email protected] of kittens lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Can cats have problems socializing-Can they truely be stupid

Jade may be hoping that she's accepted by the other cat, and so doesn't want to fight and instead tries to cuddle... Not sure about introducing two cats.

But cats can definitely be just plain stupid when it comes to some things. My Fergie has managed to get herself trapped in an open cardboard box - it had clear plastic on one side which she wanted to exit through and cried piteously at being trapped when the other side was open right behind her....

As for getting stepped on, some cats are just always underfoot. Fern follows me around like a puppy in the kitchen, because I'm the one who feeds them. When it's actually feeding time, she follows me so closely from pantry to counter to microwave, etc that she often gets stepped on two or three times in the two minutes it takes me to get the food ready! At other times, I think cats tend to assume that their 'staff' is watching out for them and isn't going to step on them. They look more offended than anything else, as if they would like to tell me "How dare you not notice me laying right behind you! I'm the CAT!!!"

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Lil'Fella treats Nito in a similar way, though he doesn't actively seek out Nito to attack or chase him. Nito seeks out Fella to antagonize. Fella growls, hisses, and eventually run away. Nito thinks it's a big game, he just wants to play.

Perhaps Jade also thinks it's just a big game!

But then again, Nito just does not get it that growls and hisses mean "I'm angry" or "back off" ...growling is a normal part of his vocabulary, and he uses it in an expressive, not angry way. (most of the time) so perhaps he just thinks growling is normal? Who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

ah its nice to see that a stupid cat is a normal cat. believe or not shes my first 'stupid' cat. ive had 3 cats before her, all smart all vindictive lol.

well i watched them again tonight. azores was sitting in her favorite spot, the cable box. jade had walked into another room down the hall. azores picking up on that, got off her cable box and proceeded to that room. a few seconds later i heard the hiss and meow. a few seconds after that azores proudly walks back in and sits back on her cable box.

wtf

she actually got off her cable box, hopped down and for no reason attacked jade?!?!!?

i just dont get it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Premier Cat

I only have one cat so I can't comment on the relationship or fighting or two cats, but I know I'm not liking the characterization of cats as "stupid."

Sure, from our vantage point of having evolved brains and opposable thumbs and all that, maybe they appear unwise or stupid, but from their vantage point they're doing very well -- and do better than us on many things like smelling and seeing. I think they're shrewd little animals, and maybe what appears stupid to you is just a cat operating on his own instinct, which may not have been your instinct.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Cool Cat

Well, as far as intelligence goes... they do have brains the size of golf balls. They're pretty smart for non-primates, but I do think people tend to ascribe intelligence and motivations to cats that they just don't have.

However, what you're talking about sounds more like a touch of social ineptitude than stupidity. How old is the newbie cat? I know when my former housemate got her new cat, the new (younger) cat would chase the resident (older) cat around the apartment. From our perspective, anyway, it seemed like new cat was thinking, "Ooo, we're playing! We're playing!" and the older cat was thinking, "She's attacking me! She's challenging my dominance!"

Eventually they managed to get themselves onto the same page and after that things went much more smoothly.

One thing I have decided about cats, though... their social behavior seems to make sense to them, but doesn't always seem to make sense to us. I'm never going to understand cat politics and the intricacies of determining who's allowed to sleep on what part of the bed when. I'll just trust that it all seems logical to them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

the new cat is about 2 years old and azores is 3. beth the way you describe it almost seems like thats how its happening.

i want them to get along so bad. azores always seems stressed and her fur is coming off easily.
ive called the shelter and left a message. im asking for help and suggestions too and what we can do if jade has to go back.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: Can cats have problems socializing-Can they truely be doofus

as ive said in other posts (all across this forum lol) i spoke with one of the many shelter experts and they said my theory of bringing in a male kitten might balance things out.

so as i said in my updated first post of this thread, i want kitties, a whole bunch of kitties lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page