New Female Cat and 4 yr old Cat wont get along!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

New Female Cat and 4 yr old Cat wont get along!!

Slang is my cat who is 4 years old. She has been the only cat and the queen of me and my home ever since I got her as a kitten.
Its been day 6 and I totally screwed up! I let my daughter adopt a cat from the shelter. The shelter said the kitty is 4 years old also (odd becuase she is much smaller than my Slang). I didnt do the gradual introduction and now this new cat has (what seems to have) claimed the house and all of Slangs areas. Slang doesnt come out of my bedroom. I ended up having to move her food and water dish into my room. Anytime Slang tries to come out of the room the new kitty chases her and wants to fight and I mean big fights. I dont know what to do!! IS there any hope, I want my Slang to be able to come out of my room and be a normal kitty.

ALSO, the new kitty always meows and always wants soft food even when there is crunchies down for her. When I am gone to class, she gets up on the counter and any kind of food, she takes it into my daughters room and eats it or else she gets into the garbage.

HELP!!! I need to gain control over this kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Re: New Female Cat and 4 yr old Cat wont get along!!

The only thing to do is to start a proper introduction process. Isolate the new cat in a room and let Slang get back to normal. Then do a slow introduction with scent swapping and controlled sightings. It may take a few weeks to accomplish this, given that you need to undo the initial damage and then do the intro correctly. Here's an article to get you started and you can also google 'cat introduction' for more ideas:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

You'll never hear me discourage the feeding of wet food, it's so much better for cats than dry, so my recommendation is give it to her. The site that I gave you the link to above has many good articles on nutrition and the benefits of wet food over dry. Just go to the Free Article Library tab.

As far as stealing food and getting into the trash, sometimes we have to change our habits rather than change the cat. Food left on the counter is going to be an attractant, the best thing to do is not leave it there. I had the trash problem and solved it by getting a covered can.

One question though, has the new kitty been de-wormed? It seems like she is more hungry than normal, it could be because parasites are draining her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

We adopted her (Harley) from Petco, who holds cats from the Humane Society to adopt out. In the papers, it states that Harley was tested on March 13, 2009 for negative feline leukemia/aids, she had the feline distemper vaccine and was wormed with Pyrantel Pamoate or Stronged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Premier Cat

Sometimes you have to give two rounds of deworming. I havent used that kind of dewomer so not familar with it. It was nice of the HS to deworm it. Most HS dont go to that length. Im assuming they spayed or neutered your new kitty? Not just shots?

You havent made a mistake adopting this kitty. You just have to start over and with a bit of work and love and patience you can have a happy kitty family. As Doodlebug said the library on Little Big Cat is very educational and wealth of information.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I took HArley to the vet yesterday. Her toe nail is infected and she has a herniated umbilical cord that needs repaired. She is having it done tomorrow morning. And they put her on antibiotics.
I also called the humane society in regards to the umbilical cord. And come to find out, she had been spayed long ago and that she was taken there because her previous owner had died in a car accident.
Right now its been day 8. Slang and Harley are still keeping distance and I feed Slang (my first cat) in my room. Harley sleeps with my 17 yr old daughter. I know it will take time. Slang has never been around other animals much...so I am being more patient.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

When I brought Cleo home, Cinderella was four years old, Cleo was a little over a year old. After the initial separation, they mostly kept to their own sides of the house for the next few weeks. Cinderella wouldn't sleep with me for about 6 months (my bed was on Cleo's side of the house).

Today, they can sleep near each other on my bed, eat next to each other, but they'll never be buddies. But I had the opposite problem you're having. Cleo, the new cat, was very submissive and wouldn't stand up for herself. She's much better now but is still a bit intimidated.

I'm not telling you any of this to discourage you. I'm just saying it takes time. My case is kind of extreme. When I brought the twins home, they were accepted almost immediately, but then again, they were only two pounds. Two tiny wild, monkey-butt pounds of kitty.

Harley's going to smell "strange" after being at the vet, so whatever intro you've done might need to start over. Slang should probably have sole control of the house, while Harley's being kept isolated. It's her world, you're just paying the rent.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page