Bed Time Vocalizations?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Bed Time Vocalizations??

Hi, first post...

Our female domestic short hair very rarely meows, except for about 2-5 minutes every night, about 3-5 minutes after everyone is in bed. It is quite annoying; we lay down to sleep, as soon as the house is dead silent, then the cat will start to meow.

My question is, does anyone have any idea why this is happening???

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Bed Time Vocalizations??

The kitty might be confused and wondering where everybody went to, and why everything is so quiet! It also may be one last ditch attempt to get someone to wake up and keep her company.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... However, more info may be required here - sorry:

Cat is approximately 6 years old, had her since very very young.
She is not an active must be by you type of cat, she will sit on my lap occasionally, but rarely anyone else.
After the nightly 3 minutes of meowing she will come into our room and sleep on the foot of our bed.
This has just started in about the last year or so (after about 6 months of being in a new house), and finally decided (remembered) to try to figure it out.
It is not an every single night thing, about 3-5 times a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Premier Cat

My kitty would do that, but not only at night...it was almost any time she left my bedroom and walked into the hall. Granted, at the time this happened, my cat was around 19yrs old and probably experiencing a little bit of kitty-alzheimer's or dementia. If I called to her, or poked my head around the doorframe so she could see me, her meow would change from distressed/mournful to a happy 'oh, there you are!' sort of sound and I'd either carry her back to my room or she would toddle on in herself.

When your kitty meows, try calling her to your bed so she may lay/settle down sooner rather than letting her walk around alone and cry. One thing you really don't want to start, is letting her learn that she can train you by meowing and making you come to her, giving her attention. Even if it is 'bad' attention (scolding) it is still attention in the cat's eyes.

Another trick you may wish to try is to give her a rousing good play session to tire her out before bed. Drag a string, toss soft toys to/over her or use a laser light for her to run and chase the dot.

Best of luck,
Heidi

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...

Yes, we do call her (to get her to quit), sometimes that works, but usually not. I also snap fingers, scratch the bed, etc. all to no avail. Well, sometimes it works, but not often.

The meows do seem to be a cry/whine, but again, she rarely meows, so meow ID is difficult.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Cat Addict

Gracie does that sometimes, too. It seems to be when she hasn't gotten much attention in the evening.

There are some nights when we are all upstairs doing stuff and she hangs around with us a lot, no meowing then! Or, Hubby and Jamie will have gone to bed, but I am still up for a while - she's fine with that. The nights when our son is in his room with the door shut (homework or computer games) and Hubby and I are both downstairs watching a show or something are the times that she tends to wander around complaining after we are in bed and before she comes in. Sometimes I think the full moon makes her run around a little, too.

Fran
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Her version of "good night, John Boy. good night Mary Ellen" etc.????

How about bringing her into the bedroom when you go to bed...she'll see the preparations for bed and know where everyone went....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Her version of "good night, John Boy. good night Mary Ellen" etc.????

How about bringing her into the bedroom when you go to bed...she'll see the preparations for bed and know where everyone went....
She is in the bedroom as we prepare for sleep, but then retreats to the living room to meow , then comes back, jumps onto the bed and goes to sleep???

I have even put her on the bed prior to getting in bed, with the same result of her retreating to meow...

Maybe she is letting us know the house is secure
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Premier Cat

...maybe she wants you to go sleep with her out in the living room? Crazy kitteh!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 AM

my cat does that all the time just before the other half gets up for work at 5am!

and then about the same time i get up its meowin at the door for ages and scratching at it trying to get in!

and if my cats see the bedroom door open they always sneak in and dive under the bed for a few mins n then start jumping around the places too lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page