HELP! Cats fighting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

HELP! Cats fighting

I'll start with a little backround, we have 4 cats (and 3 dogs), and they all get along wonderfully. All of the cats eat together, sleep cuddled up next do each other, play together, bathe each other, ect. We've never had a problem with any of them fighting at all (not counting some hissing when we intruduced them to each other, or the rare hiss when the get annoyed). We have had two of the cats, Ivan & Dusty, for about 2-3 years, and the other two, Tigger and Pepper, we have had for a little over one year. All of them the best of friends until tonight.

There was a strange cat at the window (not sure if it was male or a female in heat or something) and Ivan & Dusty were both at the window watching the cat. Dusty started hissing and running back and forth, to the couch and back to the window, over and over. Then they both start hissing and suddenly start fighting each other. Hissing, clawing, biting, fur standing up, everything. I had no idea how to break them up, and was holding my dog by the collar because she was trying to run over to them (luckily the other cats and dogs were upstairs). I wasn't near any blankets or coats to throw over them, and no water guns or squirt bottles were nearby. After probably 40-50 seconds, they had broken it up and we immidietly separated them before it could start back up (they were both still acting aggressive). I'm really upset and scared, i love all of them to death and have no idea what to do. We put one of the cats (dusty) in a bedroom with a littler box and water, but he keeps scratching and meowing at the door. We let them out for a couple minutes, and they seemed okay-no hissing, their hair wasn't standing up, ect-but they were watching each other and the cat who started it (dusty) kept following the other cat (ivan) and staring at him kind of strange-i don't want to say it was like a chanlanging stare, but maybe it was kind of close... So we put him back in the bedroom. We kept the other cat out, and he seemed okay, but was acting a little odd. He kept scraching at the floor and tried to wipe his butt on the carpet. I figured he was marking his territory or something. Anyway, i googled cats fighting and read that in a fight like this i should separate them for a day or two and slowly re-introduce them. But i'm worried that if dusty is in the room to long, he will get upset, and then when we let him out, he will be irritated and that could cause a problem.

Anyway, its 2:30 a.m., so i can't really do much right now, and i have to get up at 8:00, and i have to be gone for most of the day tomorrow! Do I leave him in there? I don't want to let him out now, because i can't keep an eye on them. In the morning we plan on letting dusty out of the room and sticking ivan in for awhile. But what about while were gone all day, do i keep them shut in??? Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do with the whole situation?

Wow...sorry that is so long. I hope it all makes since, i'm really sleepy and upset, so it might be all jumbled. Thanks for reading!!

Kianne

Oh, and when i attempted to break up the fight, Dusty ran towards me and hissed as though he was going to start attacking me. Now i am a little afraid of him, even though he hasn't done it again. Oh, and should i worry about them with the other two cats?? They have been acting fine but i'm really worried about more fighting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Premier Cat

Re: HELP! Cats fighting

What occured is redirected agression. Here is a good article on it from the Little Big Cat library. I think they will be just fine. I wouldnt keep them separated if they continue to get along. Usually it is for the small space of time when they are recovering from seeing the outside intruder to their "kitty Kingdom".

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...sionacasestudy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the article, it was really good. They are out together now, and seem to be doing fine. Its not completely back to normal yet, they are still a little uneasy around each other, but i'm feeling better. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Premier Cat

BTW welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around. I think youd enjoy it here.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:25 PM

I am having the very same problem. I have two cats...Azrael is my female and she's almost 7 years old and Dash is my male and he's 4 1/2. About 2 years ago Dash was sitting in our front window and noticed a stray male cat that's always roaming around. I was sitting on the couch below the window. Az was in another window in another room but saw the same cat and came running into the room and jumped up into the window Dash was in. Since he was behind the curtain she did not see him and kind of jumped on him. He screeched so loud I jumped right off that couch. It scared him when she did that obviously and he jumped down and was sitting on the floor breathing really hard. A few minutes went by and I Az was still in the window so I went out and shooed the stray cat away so they would both calm down for the night. I went to feed them before bed and as soon as I got the bag of food out they both came running into the kitchen and Dash just FREAKED OUT on her. Both of my cats have their front paws declawed thank god or it would have been worse. I too did not know how to break them up. He came after me too. It was unreal and VERY upsetting to watch. Dash finally cornered her and stopped and I was able to lure him in another room. Az was really mad and shaken so I put her litter box and food and water in our room and she stayed with me that night and my husband stayed with Dash in the living room. The next day was weird but they were calm when reunited. A few days later I was walking into the kitchen and stepped on something sharp on the floor and I make a loud "Ouch!!!" and it must have startled Dash cuz once again he attacked Az again. I separated them for the night again.
It's happened a few more times over the past 2 years for odd reasons. Just last week it happened twice in one day. I don't even know why...Az was stepping out of the litter box as he was walking by and I guess it scared him and then later that night when I was feeding them he attacked her as she was running into the kitchen to eat. Both times I used the squirt bottle on him and it worked in the morning but not when he attacked her at night.
They are my babies but I'm afraid when I have a real baby it will happen and the baby will get injured or whatever.
Our house is a wreck by the time they are done because Az will jump on tables and furniture and knock everything over to get away from him. Will this ever end???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page