Toilet training after relocation. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Toilet training after relocation.

Hi guys,
I better give some details before I pose my question..

I have two cats Joshua and Jodie.
My family brought them about fifteen years ago when I was ten. We lived in the same house for the next fourteen years, where both cats happily used the garden as their toilet.

Last year my mother and the cats moved into a first floor apartment. The problem was that the apartments they moved to did not allow cats. So they would spend the day in the apartment and at night my stepfather would sneak them down stairs to the garden. Joshua adapted, Jodie did not; she was scared of her new surroundings and prefered to stay in the apartment. So for the next year Jodie was a house cat. A litter tray was put on the balcony but it was practically Jodie's, as Joshua seemed to wait for night time until purging himself.
Some of you will be asking 'why did your mother move into a 1st floor apartment which didn't allow cats?' and at the time I shared those sentiments. Annoyingly it was impossible for them to live with me at the time..

Ok.. you still with me? great!
Recently I moved to a house with a garden and promptly moved the cats in with me. After keeping them in for a week with a litter tray, I fitted a cat flap, removed the litter tray and naively thought that both cats would resume using the garden as the toilet. wrong..

Joshua used the garden, Jodie used the spot where the litter tray used to be positioned.

My question is.. do you think it is possible to persuade her into using the garden instead, and if so how?

I have moved the litter tray into the garden. But there seems to be no change on her habits.

Thanks,
Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Toilet training after relocation.

Welcome!
IMO, I really don't see any need to *make* your kitty 'go' outside if she is obviously nervous and uncomfortable out there and prefers to remain inside where she feels safe and secure. I would leave the litterbox inside where she likes it and offer to go sit out back with her to get her used to being out in the back garden and feeling safe/comfortable outside. If she decides she really doesn't want to be outside, I'd just let her stay inside.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and reply,

Apologies I re-read my post and I have not been clear.

I moved the litter tray into the garden and Jodie is happy to use it there. She seems much happier to have some independence back and spends a lot of time outside. When she was in the apartment the litter tray was on a balcony so she is used to going outside through a cap flap for toilet access.

My assumption is that she uses the litter tray through habit but as she used a garden for fourteen out of fifteen years I also assumed that at some stage she would revert back to that.

The problem with forums is that unless you are supremely articulate it is easily to get misinterpreted. So i'd like to say that if Jodie would like to continue using the litter tray that is absolutely no problem.

The flower bed where I presume Joshua 'goes' is one metre away from the litter tray, so I don't think it would take much for her to adapt to that. There are alot of other cats in the neighhourhood so perhaps she has to become more comfortable with them first. (we moved the house in January).

Hope that sheds new light..
Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, it does shed more light...it wasn't that you wanted her to go out and she was reluctant, you wanted to encourage her to use the outside garden dirt instead of litter in a box.

I guess I've just always kept a litterbox available, even for the indoor/outdoor kitties, so that is what colored my response. We've never had a cat-flap, so any cats indoors needed to have a box available to them if they were 'stuck' indoors and they needed to potty. In addition, I imagine it could get difficult for a kitty to find a clear/protected place to 'go' outside during rainy or snowy weather. I have seen my outside cats use the dirt of the barn floor, but eventually that will be covered and unavailable. I may have to consider a litter tray down there...I do not want them to try to go potty on the horse's hay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page