Weird behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Weird behavior

Hi all, I have three cats, two of whom have been with me for a number of years now. The third we picked up from outside our house, and was previously a 'drain cat' but she's perfect in that her tail's perfect (not bent, broken, or cut off like most drain cats) and she appears to be in perfect health. We took her in some months back and she's very affectionate and very playful.

But this morning, she's been behaving strangely. She continuously makes these noises that are very much like meows but sound like 'brrrr'. She's also rubbing her body on the floor, stretching, basically behaving like she is itchy. Thing is, she'd been bathed some days back.

What could be causing this? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Weird behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechia1989
But this morning, she's been behaving strangely. She continuously makes these noises that are very much like meows but sound like 'brrrr'. She's also rubbing her body on the floor, stretching, basically behaving like she is itchy. Thing is, she'd been bathed some days back.
What could be causing this? Thanks in advance!
Welcome.
I think your female cat is coming into season and her hormones are demanding she become and behave enticingly for male cats. It is frustrating for a cat in season because they do not understand why they are feeling this way, whose hormones are demanding particular behaviors, and she cannot satisfy those urges so they will stop. Best solution would be to keep her firmly indoors and arrange a spay appointment ASAP.
Heidi

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I just got back from the vet and that's what they told me also. Just that she might become noisy and my neighbours might not be happy, so hopefully she won't be too loud.

What's a spay appointment? First time I've heard that term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Jr. Cat

Spay would be getting the cat fixed (removal of female organs) a VERY good idea for cats you do not intend to breed, for both health reasons and to keep down the noise

Terri
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Oh! We call it sterilization here in Singapore. We didn't get it sterilized because we actually picked it up from around our neighbourhood, and our other two cats are already sterilized. Once this 'stage' is over, is it likely to happen again? And roughly how long will this 'stage' last? Thanks!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Cat Addict

Yes, it will keep happening until you get her spayed..it really is in her own interests..and yours
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok. Will get her spayed then. But is it advisable to do it now? Or should I wait until this phase is over?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Premier Cat

It can be done now, or it can be done when she comes out of season. The problems are when spaying a cat who is in season, the organs may be a bit swelled with increased blood supply and that could create complications for the cat/vet during and after the surgery. A problem with trying to spay between heat cycles, is some cats have a very short period of time between cycles and some just seem to remain in constant heat.
For myself, I get the cat spayed/neutered ASAP, no matter what point of the cycle they are in.
Heidi =^..^=

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm.. I think I'll wait until her heat phase is over before I get her spayed then, just in case. Thanks for the help!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Cat

when they are in season do the meow loudly and become excited and eager to go outside?

i noticed that with azores. she actually jumps on the door, clings to things and meows. then she runs from window to window meowing like shes being held captive. it starts about 6am and doesnt end until the sunsets. she literally meows alllllllllllll day.

is that heat? she was fixed before we got her in the shelter and im afraid maybe they didnt get everything? this is unusual behavior for her because shes really friggin loud and is scratching on any window or door. ill try and record her on video next time so yall can see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page