HELP! I HAZ A KITTY WHOS MEAN TO MY NEW KITTEN! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

HELP! I HAZ A KITTY WHOS MEAN TO MY NEW KITTEN!

Hey, I have a major kitty problem. I've done everything every cat guide has told me to do...seperate rooms...bedding switching switching the cats in each room..ect.

Problem is I live in a close quarter apt. complex and both the cats day and nite (particularly the kitten) have been meowing an hissing. Are neighborhs have had it with the racket they are causeing, so today I have put both cats in the same room and me and my husband are supervising them. By the way the residant cats name is Sabby and the kitten we have just brought in the apts. name is Mayumi (Yumi for short). They are both female.

For days Sabby has been emotionally stressed snapping at me here and there not eating normally like she does...she also can't stand the new cat always hissing...always deep growling that erie cry as well. She seems to have the attiude to physically fight if they come face to face. I don't hezitate to think she won't.

Yumi on the other hand is aimless and free flowing gets defenseive when confrontation comes around though. Arched back and hissing.

At the moment since we have both in the same room Sabby has taken cover in the corner of the room just watching the kitten (Yumi) we've been tryin to keep the 12 week yr old away from Sabby in fear she may kill her. I am beside myself what to do.

I just want them to get along. Is there a possiblity of this happening?

Is there anything else I could do?

I need anything right now I'm frazzled lol

I apoligize for the spelling in this post I'm trying to watch both of them lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Cat

Re: HELP! I HAZ A KITTY WHOS MEAN TO MY NEW KITTEN!

im having the same problem. if you have time do a search for my posts and youll see everything i went through.

if you havent already get some feliway plugin diffusers (there are some on amazon) that may make your resident kitty relax more.

also try spirit essences. theres a 3 pack with bully remedy, peacemaker and confidence. i also got stress stopper. you pretty much add drops in water, food, give it to them orally, on their fur and can spray it in the room.

try and find something that gets them close together and rewards them. im trying treats. ill hold onto jade my new cat and give azores, my resident cat treats. hopefully this will associate closeness without fighting equals treats!

try and see what causes them to hiss and moan. and find alternatives. like my cat azores likes to attack jade when jade is in her path, so whenever i can i move jade out of the way. jade likes to play gateguard for some reason lol.

more folks should start chiming in on ideas that can help. if there not fighting like physically touching each other, and no one is pottying outside the litter box, your doing good so far!

how long have you brung home the new kitty?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Re: HELP! I HAZ A KITTY WHOS MEAN TO MY NEW KITTEN!

I had the same problem before. here is what I did to clear the problem.

just follow the steps below:

1- lock up the new kitten in a bathroom (make sure the bathroom holds a litter box, water, and food - DO NOT KEEP FOOD RIGHT NEXT TO THE LITTER BOX)
2-repeat step 1 for 2 days
3- make sure your old kitty is roaming the house freely during steps 1 & 2, don't forget that he is the ALPHA kitty.
4-only for 5 minutes a day lock up your alpha kitty, and let your new kitten roam the house (at this stage your new kitten will leave traces around the house of her/his scent, and your alpha kitty will get used to it)
5- grab a rope or a thin cable and tie one end to a heavy fixture and the other end to the bathroom's door knob (just keep a small opening so that both kitties can barely slap each other around with one paw (they are getting to know each other at this stage)
6- repeat step 5 for 4 days
7-continue repeating step 4 everyday during steps 5 & 6
8-now the fun begins: while under your supervision, let both cats play together for five minutes. if during the five minutes aggressiveness occurs, repeat steps 5 and 6 again.

it took my cats 6 days to be good friends, lets see if yours can do that. and make sure during the alloted play time, you bring some balls or toys for them to play... make sure you have "2"

let me know how it goes

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page