ok i think i have a problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

ok i think i have a problem

ive been reading online that its bad if a cat doesnt bury its poo. i thought it was just jade being jade. she peed in a corner and poo twice outside the litter box, i thought it was just because i didnt clean the litter box more often.

well she hasnt covered her poo at all which i dont know why i didnt think it was a problem before.

so i think i may need to take jade back to the shelter. i saw her litterbox at the shelter and i dont recall seeing exposed poo, so i think i screwed up the introductions and now they wont get along

hopefully we can find someone for azores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Re: ok i think i have a problem

Cinderella doesn't cover her poo very often. She was taken from her Mom too soon and I don't think she had this lesson. She tries sometimes, though. It has nothing at all to do with temperment or anything - certainly not a reason to return a kitty. This subject has been brought up many times - there are lots of kitties on this Forum who don't cover.

Not using the litter box could be a sign of a UTI. But for two cats, you should have two litter boxes. Some cats don't like to share.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

i have two litter boxes and it looks like there using one for number 1 and the other for poo. they are covered litter boxes, and jade climbed on top of one and poo'd on it. i was like wtf, on top of the litter box? i think she was constantly being attacked or stalked by azores and felt unsafe and cornered when she went inside the litter box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 AM

How about trying an open litter box? As in the type that is like a huge tray but without a cover. I get the idea that cats (especially big-sized ones) might feel insecure inside and would prefer to do it elsewhere. Especially if it's not the only cat in the house.

But for an open litter box, the poo has gotta be covered otherwise it's gonna smell. My three cats usually cover their poo themselves, but occasionally they don't and we have to do it for them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Why do you cover it for them? Why not just scoop it out while you're there?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73

lol

ill take the tops off and see how that works.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Cat

Hello

Sorry you're having problems. Honey has an open tray (no lid) as she's blind in one eye and he perception's a bit off. She also never covers her poo and my flat *doesn't* smell (verified by independent 3rd party ). That said - I scoop pretty much as soon as she goes (or as soon as I get home) and bag it and bin it outside.

Good luck!

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Tons of cats don't cover their poop, that's not a reason to take a cat back to the shelter. If you aren't cleaning the box enough (at least daily) then that might be the reason she pooped outside the box. Did you see her poop on top of the box or did you just find it there? I've had times when a big piece was stuck to their butt and dropped off somewhere else in the house, that may have been the case if you didn't actually see her go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I admit I've done this....I don't use flushable litter and I'm not going to waste a plastic bag on one piece of poop.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Nito just doesn't understand the concept of covering his poop. He managed to fling litter everywhere else besides his poop- gotta give him credit for trying (and by the amount of displaced litter, I'd guess he tries REALLY hard). I guess the litter box is just a challenge for him, as burying isn't his only problem...

You think not burying is bad, try cleaning up after a kitty whose litter box poop accuracy is about 15%.... most poops end up on the floor just outside/draped over the edge of the entrance of the litter box *sigh* I already have plans to move him to a move larger, much deeper box with a top entrance, but haven't got the space for it until we move to our bigger house in August.

Don't be mad at Jade! She probably can't help it. I get frustrated with Nito's poop-antics, but at the end of the day, I still love him, poopscapades or not.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

oh its not just the poop that makes me want to take jade back, its the problems with her and azores not getting along. the article said to start worrying when your pets dont eat as much and/or use the bathroom outside the litter box as thats a sign of dire stress and it might not stop.

jade is definitely taking a dump on top of the litterbox. she leaves about 2-6 "turds" when she poos in a pile and about 6 of them turds was neatly dropped on the handle on top of the litterbox lol. i should have taken a picture because this women does not jump anywhere! im still trying to figure out the mechanics......lets see, she doesnt like to jump on a window sill to see birds and lay down to soak up sun, but geez wilikers she just cant contain herself to poo on top of the litterbox, shes queen of the litterbox world! lol

but im glad you guys replied to let me know that its not unusual for a cat to not cover up the poo.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page