Introducing Cat to my own Dog and Rabbit - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Introducing Cat to my own Dog and Rabbit

Ok so i have a pregnant cat for foster right now but I may adopt her after ll the kittens are weined.
Right now I dought she is even knows there are other animals in the house. I live in a two story town house. She is upstair the my two are don stairs. There not allowed upstairs normally.
Really no pets are alloud upstairs but this is the only place I have to give birth.

Ok so how do I go about introducing her to my dog and rabbit when the time comes. My animals are all free rome. Well my rabbit has a NIC cage.
So how do I go about it when the time comes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Introducing Cat to my own Dog and Rabbit

It is best to keep them isolated at first and expose them to each others' scents, either using a towel or cloth, a toy, or through the door, etc.

Basically you don't want to rush into anything especially if one of the animals is shy.

http://www.fourpaws.org/pages/adopting_ ... _cats.html

This page has a section on "Introducing a Cat and Dog" about halfway down. I am not sure about rabbits.

Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Cat and Rabbit can be tricky if the cat has a high prey drive. We had to spend many days playing with the rabbits in the cat's presence, they had to understand that these rabbits were friends, not prey. They would stalk them at first, and we'd let them sneak close, but never too close. Not until they showed no signed of wanting to eat the rabbits! Now, all three of my cats get on just fine with our rabbits. When one of our rabbits gave birth, my cat (Lil'Fella) thought all the babies were his! Magneto loves to follow the rabbits around, and he is always so shocked when they'll turn around and lick him, or suddenly leap over his back! Elfie always tries to act noble, he's above the rabbit nonsense. They aren't even worth his time as prey, he'd rather take on the wild ones.

Feel free to message me with specific rabbit/cat questions. Having 3/4 cats and up to 10 rabbits at a time has been very interesting, and I've got some experience with all sorts of situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 AM

Do you think it's possible to house a mouse and a cat together? My experience with mice is that the cat knows RIGHT AWAY what it's supposed to do with them, even if it doesnt have the skills to kill them efficiently.

I'm not even sure a cat could seriously harm a rabbit, at least not without the rabbit giving as good as it gets. My cat is about 8 lbs (will he get much bigger?) and the rabbits i've seen in pet stores look like they might be 5 or 6 lbs at least.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Premier Cat

What I would do is intro the cat and dog 1st. THEN intro the cat to the rabbit-WITH THE DOG PRESENT. This may allow her to wrap her head around the concept 'in a loving home we don't eat each other.'
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_shark
Do you think it's possible to house a mouse and a cat together? My experience with mice is that the cat knows RIGHT AWAY what it's supposed to do with them, even if it doesnt have the skills to kill them efficiently.
When I was in Key West I saw a busker whose gig was that he had 2 mice, standing on a cat, who was in turn laying on a dog. At least, he did the first time I saw him.

The second time he only had ONE mouse standing on the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page