acting weird since slumber party - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

acting weird since slumber party

We adopted a tabby kitten last summer. She's a great cat, lots of personality, such as no fear of water and tipping over every half-full cup in the house. She wil soon be a year old and is still a playful young cat and has bonded very well to my middle daughter (8yrs old). Now, for the weird behavior:
My oldest daughter (11), hosted a slumber party (downstairs) the other day with ten other screaming girls- they screamed and screamed hysterically for many hours. Needless to say the cat hid as far away from them as she could, which was upstairs under my bed, for the duration, including the next morning- normal behavior from my experience, having had my own pet tabby for 19 years. However, the screaming girls are all gone now , the house is quiet again, and the cat still refuses to come downstairs- 48 hours after d-day and she still wont come back into the main levels of the house- i tried to carry her down and she shredded my arms and back. poor kitty. she only wants to stay upstairs where the bedrooms are, and won't come down for food or drink. she's already pooped under my bed and peed on my sons bed the next room over. now she is empty and still wont come down to eat, drink, or use her box. she is still spry and chipper, and will play with us when we visit her upstairs, other than a mortal fear of the rest of the house she seems back to normal- but she needs to drink and eat something and i am really hesitant to bring her any food upstairs, save for a little water. any help? we tried coaxing her with food and treats, which she seems to really want- but is deathly afraid of coming back into the main part of the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Re: acting weird since slumber party

I think your kitty was pretty traumatized by the slumber party and doesn't trust the main part of the house. It will probably be awhile before she does go back downstairs on her own. In the mean time, you will have to bring her food and litter box to her. It's not good for cats to go without food for more than 24 hours...they can develop fatty liver disease, which can be dangerous. I'm sure there will be others who will chime with the same advice or maybe improve on what I said, but I think I'd be traumatized with a bunch of screaming preteens in the house.

----------
Renée
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Renee. I had a cat who was similarly traumatized by some visiting children who were very loud and kept trying to pick the cat up. He hid for at least a day afterward. For the rest of his life, he ran every time he heard the doorbell or children coming.

You should bring what your cat needs to her. Renee is correct in pointing out the dangers of fatty liver disease -- you want to get your cat eating ASAP. Once she is using her box, eating, and showing signs of wanting to come out, gradually begin moving her things toward the door.

She will come out again, but for now she needs your patience and support. Next time you have kids over, put her in a quiet room where she feels safe. I used to let my cat hide in my basement when kids came and made sure to get him there before they arrived so he wasn't stressed.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the responses- i as well knew i had to bring her supplies asap, 48 hours is a long time with no water or food- i brought her her regular meal and some more water a short while ago, hopefully she loosens up enough to start venturing back. we always have loud neighborhood kids coming in and out, it never seemed to bother her much- but these girls were totally nuts, like psychotic squealing at top volume. i still have a tight sickly feeling in my stomach and a bad headache, i wonder when i'll recover, maybe when they go off to college...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you brought her food and litter to her, she needs to get over this on her own schedule. You could also try a Feliway diffuser. Feliway is a synthetic cat pheromone that is calming for a cat. Plug one in the room she is hanging out in to help comfort/calm her.

BTW, I think I would have ended up under the bed with her!

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

we had only discovered she hadn't come down and touched her food towards the second day, then we brought her some upstairs which she ate part of, and a few sips of water- we're keeping her food/water bowl +box upstairs now- all of which she is utilizing as she normally does- but what is weird is she appears fine when upstairs, she wasn't hiding anymore and was back to her playful self- not at all acting traumatized, laying on her back basking in sunlight near the windows, playing, sleeping, she still greets me with a purring lick of my hand or forehead- just doesn't want anything to do with downstairs. She smelled the roast beef i was cooking yesterday, that always gets her under my feet in the kitchen- this time she came down the last step and gave me her quick vocalization- (her sound of "demand")- i lured her to the middle of the living room, then she looked like she hit a brick wall and ran right back upstairs. i'll check for that Feliway you mentioned- thanks for the tip
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Premier Cat

Poor little thing was scared to death of those mean girls. I wonder if the high pitched screams got to her more for some reason?

I would just let her advance at her own pace. It might take her a little while to get her confindence back.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like she's progressing, just give her time and let her work it out on her own. Keep the house quiet for her as much as possible.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Premier Cat

Can a CAT suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome?

In humans symptoms include 'flashbacks', depression,loss of appetite,thoughts of suicide,and insomnia. TRIGGER: A cat whose home is invaded (cat's POV) by screaming young hominids?! She must have thought the WORLD was coming to an end! "What's going on in my house!?" Have you taken her to the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page