Litter training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Litter training

How do I get these 4 1/2 week old kittens to use the litter box? They are peeing on the carpet and one pooped in the same corner that they have been peeing in. I don't want them to think that its ok to go right there. Why is momma not teaching them where to go? Also, whenever they get near the litter they eat it! What can that do to them health-wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Litter training

There are a few things you can do.

First of all, clean the heck out of your carpets! There must be NO pee or poop smell remaining. The scent is a cue to the kittens to go in that area. If it smells, they will continue to use that spot. A very good article about cleaning urine and pet stains can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11535 I highly recommend it!

Next, you might try changing litter, until you find a kind they aren't interested in eating. Next, make sure that there is an old poop or pee in the litter box you are trying to teach the kittens to use. Seeing/smelling the droppings can help give the kittens a clue that they are supposed to potty here.

Before we adopted Rusty, he'd been abandoned by his mother in a barn and so had gotten used to just going anywhere he pleased, since he'd never been taught. We had to resort to more extreme measures. We'd start with a clean litter box, and bring down an old dried soiled clump from the other cat's litter box and set it in there for him to smell. We set him in the litter box and let him watch us scratch around a bit. We also took his front paws and physically made him scratch at the litter himself. We were persistent, and made him stay in the litter box until he actually started scratching by himself! And suddenly he squatted and went pee Remember- plenty of praise and plenty of patience.

Also, I would recommend placing a litter box in the corner that is most commonly pooped/peed in.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Jr. Cat

I don't know what size area you have the kittens in (the whole house?) You may want to contain them in a smaller area (preferably without carpet). Think of kittens like potty training toddlers - they get busy they go in the most convenient spot - which may not be WAY over THERE at the litter pan! Make sure your little pan has very low sides to make it easy for them to get in and out of. Also putting some of their poop IN the litter box may lead them to the right idea. If they are eating the litter, be sure NOT to use a clumping litter, clay is best for kittens this age.

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM

When we rescued Maggie, she had no idea how to use a litter box (she was about 4 weeks old). We had an awful time with her peeing in the corner of whatever room we were keeping her in, and at some point, we read somewhere to lock her in a very confined place with her box. So we bought a dog kennel big enough for her (the boxer fit comfortably in it after Maggie was done with it), her cake pan with litter and her bed. We attached her bowls to the door and we left her in there for a while (3-4 days), taking her out to play several times a day. We kept her locked up in there at night for longer, just because we didn't want her to regress.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

You're expecting a lot out of kittens of their age. They won't be fairly consistent for a couple more weeks and may even still have accidents if a litter box isn't in sight until 3-4 months. I agree with confining them to a smaller area. Take note of how long after they eat they need to go, keep them confined until they go and then let them out for a romp.

You should be using regular clay litter for kittens....no clumping litter! Some of them do tend to eat it, a little won't hurt as long as it's not clumping type.

One thing that may help with the training is Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter, it is formulated to have a smell that attracts them to the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice

I guess I am stressing because if there ends up being a big mess around here my mother will get rid of all of them and will not care WHERE they go. I've got homes lined up but I know these kittens are not ready to be on their own yet. I'm just trying to keep them with momma for as long as possible. Although they are having little accidents momma is still licking their bottoms so maybe I'm jumping the gun with the litter training
When the time comes...is Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter available in stores like petsmart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page