Introducing new kitten to cat... help. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Introducing new kitten to cat... help.

I just got an approx 10 week old tabby kitten. Two, actually. I got a girl. My best friend who lives with me got one, also. A boy. From the same litter. I read online many strategies to introducing the cat to the new home. They caught sight of each other right away, roam the same area... I live in an apartment, AND my friend sleeps on the couch in the front room, so separating them for several days would prove to be difficult. I'm sure she would not want her new kitten to always be in my room.

The kittens are perfectly fine. Playing, roaming around curiously... However, my ~4 year old manx cat has issues. She's been introduced to cats before, when my mom had a roommate move in for a few months. She had three cats. Once they got accustomed to each other, one of the (arsehole) cats kept attacking my cat. He was a mean cat in general... so she isolated herself in my mom's room for a month or two.

I'm just really hoping my cats will get along in the longrun. I don't want my manx cat to change, I would really miss her if she did. She attacked me about an hour ago. I went to pick her up (no kittens around, we were in my room) and she hissed, not at me, but at... invisible kittens? I don't know. She just acted like she was hissing at something in front of her. The only thing in front of her was the brand new makeshift litterbox, with a tiny kitten clump of pee covered up. I picked her up gently. And she started screaming like someone was stepping on her foot and didn't let go. And bit/scratched me, got my hand pretty bad on the palm, hurts to clench my palm/thumb. I grabbed her by the scruff of the neck, not too terribly hard, nor did I hold her in mid air by the scruff. Just to pull her back from biting me. She was just flipping out more than usual. I dare not pick her up now, with how cranky she is from the kittens.

Tell me there's hope in my cat getting along with them and not having to always be cranky/change from her old self. I'm really close to my animals. And I have a special bond with my cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Introducing new kitten to cat... help.

My cat, Nito, acts exactly like that around the sight or even just the remote smell of my friend's cat, Legion. Recently, he displayed that behavior on a collar I bought for him that (I believe) had been worn by another cat and returned. Take the introductions slow, and let your manx cat have her own safe personal space. Swap scents before letting her see the kittens. A really good article can be found on littlebigcat. Let's see if I can find it...

Ah hah! here it is...
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...tintroductions
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Re: Introducing new kitten to cat... help.

Hi. It's been a few days, and my manx cat, Angel, has calmed down. She might realize that these kittens are not as bad as the previous cats, one of them constantly attacking her. She hasn't been hissing nearly as much, and she allows them to gain close proximity with her now. Naturally, she'll hiss if they get too close wanting to play. It was difficult, because my friend/roommate had a problem with me keeping the kittens in my room until introductions are better... she said she didn't want her kitten to grow attached to me more. So I didn't really have a choice but to let all three cats roam the apartment together.

Now the only trouble is trying to litter train my kitten, Kiara, so she doesn't keep peeing on my bed.

Thanks for the advice, the website proved to be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page