Help..? New Cat in the House Not Eliminating - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Help..? New Cat in the House Not Eliminating

Hey people,

I'm new to this forum AND a new first time cat owner. We met this wonderful 5 year old orange tabby in the shelter yesterday and decided to adopt him as our new family. We have a big house, but to avoid the possibility of developing allergies that we do not yet have, we've decided to keep all the rooms off-limits.

We brought the new kitty, Kuhla, back home this afternoon, and he's been doing pretty good I think. He wasn't shy at all. Once we opened the box the SPCA had him in to for his transportation to our home, he went to pretty much every corner of the house exploring. It took him less than half an hour to get comfortable enough to ask for petting, and about an hour or so until he started eating, although he likes to do it when we are petting him. Within 5-6 hours, he was grooming most of his body parts.

However, it's been 8 hours and he still has not eliminated yet. we used the type of litter the shelter was using, hoping that it would help him with the transition. The litter box is in the bathroom that is very close to the family room, and where most of the actions are, although we are a quiet family. Initially, we had the litter box lined with a plastic bag. After a couple of hours without him using the litter box, I thought maybe he doesn't like the bag, so I took that out. Initially, I also had about 1.5 inch of litter in the box, and now I've kind of moved it so that parts of it has less litter, and the other part has more, just in case he has a preference between the two.

He has got in our bathroom a couple of times, and to my knowledge, he did poke around smelling the litter box. But every time we try to put him in the box, he jumps right out. Instead, he looks more interested in the toilet bowl. So we let him have some access, but it seems like he only wants to drink from the toilet (we do have a water fountain for him, which he does drink from).

I'm not sure if I'm just going all paranoid or what. But I'm concerned that he might be stress because of the move and didn't want to eliminate in the litter box. Or am I just over concerned and this is normal???

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Help..? New Cat in the House Not Eliminating

Hi and welcome This is perfectly normal. Cats that are in new surroundings can sometimes take a few days to feel it's 'safe' to eliminate. I'd give it another day or two, I'm sure he'll be fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, he made himself at home very quickly. Sometimes new cats don't even eat for a day or so. Pictures?

I'm a little confused by this:

Quote:
We have a big house, but to avoid the possibility of developing allergies that we do not yet have, we've decided to keep all the rooms off-limits.
Yet you said he's explored every corner of the house. It's late, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

How wonderful that you adopted an adult! They have a harder time finding good homes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Xanti:
Thx. He actually eliminated this morning. Although not much, but it's still a good sign.

Marie73:
He sure did. But he seems to have a habit liking people to pet him as he eats.

He's better looking in rl, but here are some pix.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Cinderella used to be like that a lot. Sometimes I only had to sit next to her. She still likes attention right before she eats occasionally.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page