kitten hissing! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

kitten hissing!

I adopted a kitten today. I knew there would be an adjustment period but he hisses at me and my kids. I also have a problem trying to get him to get along with the dogs. I adopted him from a shelter and I am afraid he might have to go back and I really want to him to fit in and be happy here. he is 2 months old, I thought kittens adapted much easier than older cats to new enviroments.
Some advice would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Re: kitten hissing!

Imagine if you were taken from your home, put in a loud noisy container and ended up in a big place surrounded by huge aliens.

Your kitty needs to learn that his new planet is safe, and that the aliens are kind and loving. He should be put into a small room to start with, a bedroom or bathroom, for at least the first day. It'll probably become his "safe place" when he does decide to explore his new world. And his introduction to the loud, barking beast should be slow.

That probably sounded lame, but it's the best way I can explain how scary everything may seem to a tiny kitten.

When I brought each new cat home, they had a bedroom to themselves, but that's not possible for everyone. And some kitties don't eat right away, so don't let that worry you, either.

Hopefully, members with more experience and better suggestion will chime in here.

Hang in there (and post pictures, if you can get some).

And welcome!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

He's a tiny scared little baby. Marie is on target....he needs a nice quiet room for himself to get used to his new home a little at a time. Allow him to get used to you and trust you before subjecting him to kids and dogs. It may only take a couple days, maybe a couple weeks.

And example I can give you was Holly...I brought her home at 12 weeks. She came from a breeder where she had plenty of socialization with people and pets. When I brought her home she dove under the bed and would only come out when I was in the room. As soon as I headed towards the doors, she went straight for the bed. Within a day or so, so was comfortable in the room. And it took another day or so and she was showing signs of wanting to get out of the room.

Give this baby some time, don't rush him. I know it's difficult to keep kids away from a new kitten, but you need to do it for a while.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Premier Cat

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...eyougetakitten

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...gintroductions

Here are some good articles from a vet on how to sucessfully introduce
your kitten to your family and dogs.

This kitten is terrified. Everything is unfamilar to it. Do you have a padded cube that it can escape to. It needs safe spaces even after it is in your home. Plus rules with your children ~ Supervise them when they want to hold the kitten & only when they are sitting down and to be very gentle. Its important you instruct your kids how to handle and treat a cat (or dog even) so they understand and grow up to be great animal owners!

Try calling the shelter you adopted the kitten from and ask for tips also. I know my group always welcome phone calls when the adopter has questions and concerns. Any issues that come up. We had calls from people with questions even after theyve had the cat 3 years! All rescues want it to be a good fit and a sucessful adoption.

Plus feel free to keep asking questions here. There is a wealth of information available with our members. You came to the right place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page