Introducing a kitten to a kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Introducing a kitten to a kitten

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on this problem I'm having introducing my 6 month old queen to a 6 week old male kitten. I've read alot of websites with 'how-to's' and 'what not to do's' but I'd rather get advice from people who do know. I adopted a 6 week old kitten (named him storm because he leaves a trail of mess everywhere he goes), he is beautiful and very playfull and loves attention, so did my queen, untill 2 days ago.

She hisses and swipes at the poor little thing, although storm doesn't seem phased by this i can't help but to feel horrible for her actions. I know its only been 2 days, but keeping them apart without shutting them in a room by themselves is hard, and Tia (my female kitten) likes to follow me around all the time. I tried the scent advice, but Tia started hissing at the blanket that storm was sleeping on and took it bad and slept under the bed all night (which is a first), I introduced them the first day, which websites said it was a big 'no-no' but this is my first time raising 2 cats, which resulted in Tia hissing and kinda growling at storm and running up stairs and hiding for hours.

Day 2 is today, with little progress. I placed storm in a cage with his toys and let Tia out to investigate, she watched him for a while and got closer and closer then the hissing started again and the swiping at the cage. But she has stopped running away and hiding and has even used his litter tray!

I'd like to know if im doing anything wrong so far, and how can I make this 'getting-to-know' stage any easier for them both, as I feel really bad for storm being stuck in a cage with a 3 times the size kitten swiping at his every move.

Thanks for any advice.

VS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Re: Introducing a kitten to a kitten

I am currently going through the same thing. We got a 9 week old kitten last weekend to play with our 5 and a half month old baby. He hates her. It's been a week and I keep asking myself the same questions that you are - what am I doing wrong? What can I do to help them? It is so stressful and absolutley heartbreaking. My little boy is exhibiting the same behavior as your older one is...he keeps hissing and spitting when she gets near him on his level. I will say though, that over the week we have seen him getting a little better. He just ignores her if we are holding her and they are in the same room together. It is only when we put her on his level that he seems to really have a problem with her. He has even stopped hissing and growling when we put him in her room or when he smells her on us. But that took until about day four. Our biggest problem is that she wants out of her room and keeps throwing herself against it to be let out and sits and just cries. But, everything that I've read, and everyone I talk to keeps saying the same thing - it takes time, keep doing what you are doing. So, we continue to keep her in her room, rub a towel on her and put it in his sleep spot, pet her then pet him then pet her, put him in her room for an hour or two at a time and always give him treats when he doesn't howl or hiss. We have been spraying the Feliway whenever they meet and try to keep them in the same room for a little while at a time even if it means we are just holding her above him. We've tried the feeding thing at the same time but that doesn't work for us. We've also tried getting them to play under the door with the same string, that doesn't work either for us. I know how hard it is to leave one of them in a room by themselves and to have the other always following you - that happens at our house as well. Just be careful because our little girl did get scared of the boy for a little while - we had to start the process of introducing him again. If you haven't tried Feliway you might consider giving it a shot. It's a little pricey at pet stores, but you can get it online for cheaper. Good luck and please let me know if you find something that works.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Hi

Your kitties are beautiful

I went through the same with my two. I am fairly new, but I can tell you what worked for me. And I'm sure other experts will come along and also give some advise.

The first day I kept the two of them totally apart. My kitten was in a seperate bedroom with her toys, bed and litter box. Although Cleo (older one) knew something was up, and she got the smell immediately, I just left the other in the room for the first 24 hours. From the second nite I allowed her out for an hour or two at a time (supervised) and let them smell each other. Cleo also swiped and hissed a lot, but I also found that after a few minutes - about 20 or so she would ignore the kitten or just went to the other corner of the room while watching her very carefully. Lol unfortunately the kittten didn't know any better and tried to play with her. I was with them the whole time, and the moment things were getting tensed up, I put her back in the seperate room again.

I did this for a week. Everyday I tried to have the together for a bit longer. Oh and yes Cleo also used Bonnie's' litter box on the second day! Lol must be to do with markings? Or just to let her know who is boss around the house.... lol

After a week they were fine! Because of Bonnie's size, I didn't want to leave them together without me being there, you just never know. But after about a week the hissing and swiping stopped. And I must say, they are best friends today!

Good luck and please let us know how things go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classik80
I am currently going through the same thing. We got a 9 week old kitten last weekend to play with our 5 and a half month old baby. He hates her. It's been a week and I keep asking myself the same questions that you are - what am I doing wrong? What can I do to help them? It is so stressful and absolutley heartbreaking. My little boy is exhibiting the same behavior as your older one is...he keeps hissing and spitting when she gets near him on his level. I will say though, that over the week we have seen him getting a little better. He just ignores her if we are holding her and they are in the same room together. It is only when we put her on his level that he seems to really have a problem with her. He has even stopped hissing and growling when we put him in her room or when he smells her on us. But that took until about day four. Our biggest problem is that she wants out of her room and keeps throwing herself against it to be let out and sits and just cries. But, everything that I've read, and everyone I talk to keeps saying the same thing - it takes time, keep doing what you are doing. So, we continue to keep her in her room, rub a towel on her and put it in his sleep spot, pet her then pet him then pet her, put him in her room for an hour or two at a time and always give him treats when he doesn't howl or hiss. We have been spraying the Feliway whenever they meet and try to keep them in the same room for a little while at a time even if it means we are just holding her above him. We've tried the feeding thing at the same time but that doesn't work for us. We've also tried getting them to play under the door with the same string, that doesn't work either for us. I know how hard it is to leave one of them in a room by themselves and to have the other always following you - that happens at our house as well. Just be careful because our little girl did get scared of the boy for a little while - we had to start the process of introducing him again. If you haven't tried Feliway you might consider giving it a shot. It's a little pricey at pet stores, but you can get it online for cheaper. Good luck and please let me know if you find something that works.
It doesnt seem that any of you are doing anything wrong. But it does take time. I was very lucky in the sense that Bonnie never cried to came out of the room. She was SO relaxed and really sleeping a lot in her own bed in the room. It is heart breaking, to keep them in there, but its the only way

Funny enough, Bonnie is now 7 months, and Cleo is 14 months, but Bonnie took over the "boss" role. She is the dominating one now and poor Cleo is the one that has to hide sometimes, even if they are just playing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for replying

I had some progress today with the cage idea, although at first Tia was giving hisses, she actually played at the cage door! No hisses, no spitting, no growling, nothing. She laid on her back and was playing with the door, then got up and played with her toys near Storm. Result!. Although its not a big step but im glad shes feeling a little more comfortable around him. I've ordered some Feliway online, it should be delivered today, and you were right, it is expensive but if it helps in any way im more than happy to buy it. I hope you guys keep me updated with your progress!

Lisa x
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM

I'm so glad to hear that you have had progress! The fact that you have no hissing or growling is huge. We still have both. We actually let Calypso out of her room and Artemis cornered her. He didn't hurt her, but he kept hissing, growling and swatting. Yesterday, my husband was home and our Humane Society said that if they aren't physically fighting that we should let them try and work it out. He told me that Artemis pretty much chased Calypso around all day hissing at her - but he never hurt her. Last night when I got home they were both so tired that they fell asleep near eachother - though they were still on different levels. I really do not understand what this level hang up is. As long as Calypso is on a different level he's fine with her - the second she is on his he hisses.

Anyway - please keep us posted on your progress and good luck!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

I tried the level thing, and your right! Tia was running around happily. We had a little more progress today. I put the cage between two doors and let storm be in one room and tia in the other, making it possible for tia to come into the room storm was playing in. After a while tia jumped the cage and sat near storm, a few hisses and with some gentle taps to the head and tia was pretty much okay, untill storm decided to stick up for himself , with the cutest little hiss he tried to swipe her back and tia ran away. But now she likes to try smell him up close, without hisses and swiping, so i think this is coming along great.

Classik80, i think them sleeping in the same room is great progress! I haven't got that far yet, so we must be doing good
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM

So just to give an update on my end. We have been letting Calypso run around in the evenings when we are home. Artemis chases her from one end of the house to the other and back again. He still swats at her and hisses but he never actually hurts her - doesn't use claws. Sometimes I really think he is playing, other times I think he is being a bully. Last night he kept cornering her. She seems afraid of him sometimes...whenever she comes out of her hidy hole she looks for him and then takes off running. But if he starts ignoring her, she goes up to him and gets hissed at. I just don't know if this is play or not. Thoughts anyone?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Feliway must work wonders since installing it, they have been the best of friends, playing together, sleeping on the same bed and just generally getting on great. Although Tia plays a little rough sometimes but tapping the floor stops her, im so glad this hasn't taken to long for them to figure each other out, a few more days and I think I can leave them in the same room together unsupervised!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Cat Addict

I always use an icebreaker for kittens. I let them do the sniff at the door deal, but once they're tired of hissing/ect I grab a good toy. Wand toys work best, just swing it around, get them playing. Then they forget they don;t know each other, they're both sending positive body signals, and it de-stresses them a bit.

I'm glad your two are getting along lisa103, and good luck with your continuing intro classik80!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page