A few problems with cat AND new kittens... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

A few problems with cat AND new kittens...

Okay, so I've read lots of articles online about litter training a kitten, so if I ask I am sure I will only be told the same basic concepts! I will also ask around for I am sure there are things I can buy to rid the awful smell my room accumulated, and most importantly, rid the multiple pee stains from my blankets and brand new mattress... ugh... anyway...

My 4 year old manx cat, Angel, has been with us since she was a pre-owned stray kitten (already spayed manx - what a bonus!!). I crawled into bed, and felt a big wet spot not more than a half hour ago. I am on my phone right now. I looked, and it was rather large... I don't think its my kitten. Is it possible that Angel is either marking her territory where Kiara pees? Or is she jealous and mad at me? Angel has also not cuddled in my lap anymore yet... though she has grown used to the kittens, she has in fact tried playing with them a few times! She still gets grumpy, and I have received the blunt of her spontaneous growling followed by angry screaming and scratching escaping meow from my grasp. It has only been a week and a half since we got the kittens. My main concern right now is. RIDDING THE PEE PROBLEM ASAP! Haha. It stinks and ruins and is difficult and annoying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Premier Cat

Re: A few problems with cat AND new kittens...

You need an enzymatic cleaner. I have used OdoBan, Simple Solution and Nature's Miracle. You have to REALLY SOAK the pee'd area. Sop up what you can, scrub up what you can and then saturate the area with the enzymatic cleaner and allow it to air dry, to give the enzymes time to break down the organic/odor-causing bacteria. You may have to apply and allow to dry twice to remove all traces of the odor.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I bought Nature's Miracle spray bottle at the local pet store, and am hoping to see it work now. I am slightly unsure about my mattress... Does it matter if it seeps into the mattress? It's not a spring mattress, however. Either way... I am hoping it will completely eliminate the stain and odor, at least as best as it can to where it's not AS noticable anymore. I can spot all the stains under a blacklight, and slightly without a blacklight. But I'd rather not have pee stains forever remain hibernating in my brand new mattress of which I paid for. I am going to have to buy a cheap shower curtain to cover up my bed whenever possible... so she does not proceed to use my bed as a toilet. Also... I hear ammonia entices cats to pee there? because their urine contains ammonia, as well? Would it be at all possible to dab some ammonia on the outside of the litterbox...? Maybe this is a horrid idea, and unsafe... but I just want to do anything I can to littertrain my kitten. I can't lock her in a small room WITH the litterbox as suggested in many articles... this would prove to be difficult under many circumstances. She poops in there, however, but sometimes she poops in the plant, which isn't bad, either. The OTHER kitten, her brother, pees and poops perfectly fine IN the litterbox. But she has trouble, for some reason. Or is a rebelious little stinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Cat Addict

If they've been peeing there for a while you're not going to be able to use the mattress and blankets for a bit.

Natures Miracle will work, but it's enzymatic. The way it works is that it breaks down the actual proteins in the urine...which takes time. So drench the area, then you need to wait until it's fully dry before you can sleep on the mattress, or let the cats near those items.

You said you just got the kittens...how old are they? If they're still fairly young (5 month and younger) it may just be that the female can't control herself yet. She gets too far from the box, realizes she needs to go, and can't make it back to the box. She's a baby, so offer more boxes. At least one on each floor of your house, and I always put one in favorite play rooms.

The other thing to consider is how you introduced the kittens to your adult. Did you just come home and say "look, new friends!" And dump them in the whole house with her? She's not seeing new friends. If you did this what she heard was "Surprise! Invaders!".

I would find a room you can lock both kitten in until they learn some bladder control. If you're home let them out, but supervised. Don't always have them out. It's Angel's home and she's feeling like you've brought in these new awful things that annoy her. Give her lots of one on one time, and give her time to get used to the kittens.

Since they have started peeing on your bed I wouldn't let them in your room...any of them. Until things are a bit more settled and everyone is ok with everyone else. You don't want to have to break that habit...trust me. It's awful. My oldest girl used to pee on my side of the bed, the only way I could get her to stop was to keep her out of the room. Don't give anyone the chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page