Angry/Lovey Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Angry/Lovey Kitten

My kitten is normally very affectionate; loves to cuddle and nuzzle with my fiance and I. But sometimes out of the blue she will attack and it's only him that she attacks. I know that this can sometimes be normal and playful but she goes for blood. She has attacked him 3 times in the past couple months. The first time that she attacked, she and I were sleeping (I on the bed and she on the floor by the foot of the bed). When she heard him come in, she woke up and bit him hard on the foot. He figured he scared her so he went to comfort her and she went nuts. When he picked her up, she clawed into his arm and bit him. I came out to see what was going on and she was hissing and growling at him, when I walked by she swatted at me. We locked her out of the bedroom that night to give her time to cool off. When I left for work she appeared fine. When my fiance woke up, she was at it again.
The next few incidents were completely out of the blue. One time she was sitting on his lap and he was petting her, out of nowhere she bites his knuckle down to the bone. Then today, my fiance heard a splash in the bathroom so he went to see what happened. It turns out she fell in. He was going to try to at least dry her off and she starts hissing and scratches him. We have no idea how to do to deal with her. We've tried the cold shoulder, spraying her with water and grabbing her by her scruff but it's so unpredictable. Normally she'll run away, so she knows what she is doing is wrong. We both love her very much but if this continues I'm affraid we'll have to get rid of her. PLEASE HELP US!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 AM

Re: Angry/Lovey Kitten

Did you spray her directly with the water? who sprayed her with the water?

It's a good fact that cats are not keen on water, although spraying them with water will almost certainly stop them from doing what they are doing, but spraying them directly will leave you with not a very nice cat (directly meaning; the cat seeing you spray them). So by doing this it's probably adding to the hissing and scratching and biting. I would suggest when the kitten is in it's hunting mood, to distract it with toys so it would lose interest in torturing you guys. I know its annoying and it gets you kinda down, but she will out grow this, i've been through it myself. Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Premier Cat

It sounds like with the 1st encounter your BF may have come home with a smell that triggered her fight/flight instincts and then the other encounters just reinforced her behavior to be wary and watchful of him. The second encounter almost appears to be an "over-stimulation" issue. You must watch the cat carefully, if the signs they give are very subtle: ears twitching or laying back, turning to glare at the person or hand petting them, rippling their skin, sinking away from a person touching them. Some cats progress very quickly through these "silent language" steps before they resort to audible growling or hissing and finally physical/yelling in the form of scratching and biting, because the person didn't "listen" to them. Finally, the last incident seems as if he tried to help her, but she had scared and ticked herself off and was "not in the mood" to be helped.

Cat speak in the silent body language of motion and/or posture, progress to audible and then physical to get their message across. This is the ONLY way they can communicate.
We need to learn to understand what they are saying. I think your BF needs to work towards befriending the kitty (treats and gentle petting...always stopping before she is done, make her want more attention).
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

We all live together, she actually spends more time with my fiance because I have a crazy work schedule. For the most part she is extremely affectionate toward him, until she does nuts. Is there anything we can do to avoid this behavior? And what should we do when it happens?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 AM

when she starts being a little rough distract her with toys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page