Cat Playing Peace Maker? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Cat Playing Peace Maker?

It's been about 2 weeks since we adopted our new cat, Kiwi (a tiny female stray that we're slowly intergrating into our home). We previously have 2 other cats, both males. One very large black one named Xiao Hei, and a slightly smaller tabby, Xiao Hua.

Anyway, Xiao Hei, the very large black male doesn't mind the new cat at all, in fact he often tries to go up to her to sniff her or see what she's looking at. She doesn't approve of him getting so close to her, but that's understandable. However, our tom cat of the house, the tabby Xiao Hua, doesn't get along with the new cat too well.

We'll usually have her meet them seperatly, so that the situation doesn't stress her out too much. But yesterday was the first time we had all of them together, and something very strange happened. As the tabby was approaching Kiwi to attack her, the big black male meowed very loud(almost a yelp), then got up and ran to get between them. He stood between them and wouldn't move, not in an aggressive way.. Which is why we're not really sure what was going on?

Was he being a peace maker or something? I know that sounds ridiculous to say, but it really seemed like he was trying to stop them from fighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Cat Playing Peace Maker?

What an amazing story! Animals have an amazing way of communicating that we, as humans, have only begun to understand. My guess is that he's attracted (in a friendly way) to little Kiwi, and he could sense both Kiwi's nervous/scare energy and Hau's aggressive/negative energy and decided to block Xiao-Hau's actions. Cats protecting each other is not unheard of for me- my mom's three cats protect each other when strays invade the yard. Rusty and Fella often act as backup for Elfie, and go running towards the sound of confrontation to stand beside him arching their backs. Usually the sight of two allies cats is enough to make the stray reconsider his challenge (especially when Lil'Fella comes running, at 18 LB's and being big-boned to start with, he could send even the toughest stray running with just one look at his size)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Aw!
What you're saying is making more and more sense as I observe their interactions actually.

But at the same time I feel a little sad for him, because she does not let up, denies him everytime. *Hoping* that one day she'll become a bit more comfortable with him, I bet he'd even clean her.

When you have cats interact with one another (as oppose to having just one) you learn a lot more about cat behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that could definitely be what you saw, I had a similar experience recently....

I wanted to clip Maggie's nails, I was in the recliner with the foot rest up and had her tucked between my hip and the arm rest, on her back...not a position she likes. Kobi came up and sat on the floor right in front of the foot rest and since he has a tendency to bully Maggie she started getting upset. Holly saw what was going on and came over and sat down on the footrest between the other two and gave a little chirp that was almost like "it's ok, I won't let him bother you" and Maggie calmed right down and let me cut her nails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

I think that is exactly what went on. Cats do form bonds with each other and pick buddies. I hope they are one big happy family soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Premier Cat

Not ridiculous. What may be happening is he's interpreting the house rules to his fellow-cats. Great story! Kwai-Chang Cat!

'Mind and body,Grasshopper. Think the goldfish out of the bowl.'

Seriously,cats are smart. They've got SOME form of intelligence. Try hiding something from a really determined cat!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Kitten

I had something similar to Doodlebugs story happen the other day: I was trying to administer my kittens worming tablet, and he was getting a bit distressed and started squealing. Suddenly my older cat ran in through the door and "bit" my knee (he often bites me, but never hard enough to mark the skin. I think its a throwback to his last life before he was adopted). I think he was trying to "save" his little buddy, but as he knew me well too didnt want to actully hurt me. It was quite sweet, as he didnt much like the kitten for the first couple of days - now they seem to be real buddies!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 AM

Our youngest does that all the time. He will stand between the oldest and a stray on the otherside of the arcadia door, or get between the other two housecats if play gets too rough. He accompanies them to new litterboxes even. Not kidding. Funny little cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page