Recently started "going" behind the TV - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Recently started "going" behind the TV

One of our cats has recently started poopin' behind the telly every time we leave the living room door open.

The thing is, we live on a very garden oriented block and when he goes out of our back door cat flap he has access to 16 houses of back gardens. Not only that but we also have a litter box in our conservatory.

The TV is diagonal against a corner leaving a small space behind it. We figure it is the small area that encourages him to go there. Unfortunately we cannot move the TV to a different spot (there literally isn't one) but we also can't seem to get him to stop. We have tried orange peels, odour neutralisers and telling him off at the location. But seeing as he almost always does it when no one is around, telling him off doesn't seem to do much.

We have started closing the living room door, and when he cannot go behind the TV, he will happily plod outside and do his business there instead.

Can anyone suggest any more possible solutions? I get a daily work out moving the TV stand in and out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Recently started "going" behind the TV

Welcome to CatForum and I hope we can help you resolve this issue with your kitty.

First, it seems like your kitty likes the solitude and privacy of behind the TV. Can you explain his litterbox set up in the conservatory? Is this a high-traffic area and/or is his litterbox 'exposed' and not as private as behind the TV?
Second, sometimes inappropriate elimination has a medical cause, though I think *most* problems involve urinary issues rather than defecation issues.
Finally, can you prevent all access behind the TV by having a wooden 'box' in that shape built, making that area/carpet completely inaccessible?

Best of luck,
Heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

We only go through the conservatory to access the back garden. The litterbox itself is enclosed (it has a lid).

Unfortunately we don't have anything to move behind the TV, but it may be something we'll have to look into if there is no other way to stop a cat after they have started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro2k
Unfortunately we don't have anything to move behind the TV, but it may be something we'll have to look into if there is no other way to stop a cat after they have started
Ugh, yeah, if it is a behavioral thing, preventing access may be the only solution available.
Just a few more ideas:
I wonder if you could give him *two* litterboxes to use? One for #1 and another for #2? Some cats like to seperate their 'business'. Another consideration is the cleanliness of the litterbox, some cats are very fastidious and require more than just a daily scooping of waste. Finally, some cats are sensitive to the type/feel/odor of litter used.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Why don't you put a litter box behind the TV? Or use a board to block off a corner somewhere else in the house and put a litter box behind it, thinking that a similar space to the area behind the TV would encourage him to go there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Premier Cat

I'm not sure a litterbox behind the TV could be a long-term solution. It seems the TV is a bit difficult to move the clean behind.

Oh! I just had a *brilliant* idea!!!!

Go buy one of those hallway carpet protectors! AND a heavier carpet protector for office chairs, and place THOSE behind the TV! I would use the heavy one, cut to size and placed correctly on the carpet. Then I'd cut the hallway runner one to size and place it *poke-y pegs UP* on top of the sturdier protector. MUCH easier to clean/sanitize and perhaps the poke-y things will deter him from jumping/landing back there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Premier Cat

Please let us know what you've done and what worked or didn't work! The information you share about your experience *could* help other pet owners with similar problems.
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page