How do I stop my kittie from biting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

How do I stop my kittie from biting

Sootie is generally a fantastic cat and I love her to bits but she does keep biting. I'm convinced it isn't viscus, maybe she left her mum too young. Sometimes it is angry but ony on occasions. Any ideas guys? Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM

Re: How do I stop my kittie from biting

how old is Sootie?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Premier Cat

Is Sootie doing this during playtime? Either both of you playing or when she is initiating play? You can help disuade her from biting by pushing the bitten victim (your hand/arm) TOWARDS her. This is not the expected response (most things try to get away, and then The Game is on! as they try to prevent it from leaving) and they will usually stop biting, back up and act confused.

Is she biting out-of-the-blue? She is happily sitting on your lap and being pet, purring and then "Wham-o!" she bites you? If this is the case, she could be getting over-stimulated. You will have to watch her for subtle signs. Cats usually speak with a 'whisper': body language. If they have to make a sound, like an annoyed meow, that is speaking to you. When they 'shout', that usually means teeth/claws.
Overstimulation signs can be ears flipped back, or staring at your hand, ears flipped back OR intently forward while staring at the 'offender' (hand) the tail may flip and smack around, the kitty may try to sink away and avoid your touch or they may ripple their skin like they got a hair out of place. You just have to watch for the signs and stop before she gets irritated enough to strike out. Always leave her wanting *more* and slowly increase the amount of time petting her until she stops getting irritated.

If she is just young and playful, it is possible she didn't have enough time with her mother and siblings to learn how to control her bite. When kittens play with each other, they scratch and bite. It is only by being scratched/bitten back that they realize it hurts and they need to be more gentle when they play, or playtime stops. I've had cats grow out of this, but it has sometimes taken up to 2 years. Before that, I could only pet him w/out it turning into a wrestle match if he was sleepy.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I love when petting turns into a wrestling match. My kitty thinks it's good sport. He never bites or scratches hard though, he learned restraint somehow along the way and I am forever grateful for that!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM

I wonder if bitter apple works for biting cats? It's recommended for biting ferrets. You spray it on your hands, and it tastes nasty to them. I wouldn't use it if you're petting her, though. Don't want to get nasty taste in her fur.

Flash was such a wild boy that we decided not to ever play rough with him. He actually scratched my face once! When I screamed, he ran away surprised. After that, any time petting turned to Flash getting in a mood (biting or grabbing hands), we immediately stopped petting him until he calmed down.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
I wonder if bitter apple works for biting cats?
I have suggested using it for cats who like to attack legs. Spray it on your pants and when the kitty wraps around the leg and bites the fabric, they get a mouthful of nasty taste and quickly learn pants (legs) aren't good to bite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page