litter trays - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

litter trays

We're getting our first cat on Saturday so I'm busy buying everything that we need for him.

Just wondering from other people's experience do cats prefer lidded litter trays or open ones?

We've got 2 young children so want to keep the litter tray safe for them but didn't want to get a lidded one if most cats don't like them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Re: litter trays

If he's a kitten, he'll most likely adapt to anything. If he's an adult, maybe you can ask the current owners/foster/shelter if he seems to have a preference. If not, buy a lidded one that will allow you to permanently remove the lid if need be. The vast majority of cats aren't really fussy about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to get two and put them in the rooms he'll be in the most. Sometimes young kittens wait until the last minute to pee, just like little kids.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM

We've always done the lidded ones. We have great big boys, though, so their heads stick out! They've never had a problem with them.

I'd love to get one of those that scoops automatically. Or the one you hook up to your water lines and it flushes the poo and washes the litter!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Jr. Cat

I have recently switch to a lidded one and i like it a lot better. My cats throw little and it kept it from getting on the floor some. My cats didn't seem to mind the change either.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Cool Cat

Mine have adapted quite well to whatever box they've had, and it's been changed a few times since one of my girls likes to pee standing up. The open box had to be replaced with a covered box, which had to be replaced with a top-entry box... They took to each new box no problem and started using it right away. I think it's pretty much up to you, as long as your furry friend doesn't have a weird habit that limits your options.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat
We're getting our first cat on Saturday so I'm busy buying everything that we need for him.

Just wondering from other people's experience do cats prefer lidded litter trays or open ones?

We've got 2 young children so want to keep the litter tray safe for them but didn't want to get a lidded one if most cats don't like them?
I began to use an open one, but because my cat goes mental in her tray,[when she uses it] ending up with litter all over the floor, I converted to an enclosed one. This is good, although, can sometimes smell if not cleaned 100%.

But goodluck

Also...... cat litter types...

I use Catsan...... best cat litter brand!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page