Adopting a Second Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Adopting a Second Cat

When adopting a second cat, assuming your first cat is accepting of her new mate, does her (original cat) behavior towards you change? Is it the same as before you got her a playmate?

My current cat is really affectionate towards me and I want to get her a playmate as I fear she is bored when I'm not home (although we have 4 family members, she prefers me the most). Will she stop this once she has a mate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 AM

Re: Adopting a Second Cat

I,too, am thinking of adopting a second cat, but am worried about the point you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
assuming your first cat is accepting of her new mate
My cat is one and a half years old, I am away a lot and feel that she might enjoy having a playmate .. but would she You can't exactly have a ''trial'' adoption
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Every cat and every situation is different. Cinderella and I were much closer when she was the only cat. And they sleep about 22 hours a day, it seems. Every night I come home and all four are just waking up. Even on weekends, I run out to do errands and they're waking up again when I get home.

You should really only get a second cat if you want another cat - no matter how they'll get along with your first cat. Cinderella and Cleo will never be friends, and that's the risk I took with bringing her home, but I fell in love with Cleo the first day we met.

But, if things don't work out (and I did have to rehome one kitty), you do have options. If people didn't rehome cats, I wouldn't have Cinderella or Cleo, so I believe you have to do what's best for your first cat and sometimes is means not keeping the new one.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Banned

Cats naturally sleep 80-85% of the time. When I've been home during the day, Toby is always asleep during the day and wakes up early evening so I wouldn't worry about your cat getting lonely.

Only get another cat if you want one. And be prepared for them both to not get on - in some cases the best case scenario is for them to 'tolerate' each other. But of course they may get on famously - who knows?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Tom Cat

My original cats behavior changed drastically when the second cat camed--more than I ever dreamed. I never regret number two--I must not since we are preparing for number three--but I'm not doing it for them only, I'm doing it because I want another.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page