Cat with Behavior problem.... help!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Cat with Behavior problem.... help!!!

i have two kittens. male is 7 month old and female is 6 month old.
the male is the most perfect cat i ever had. so i am not going to complain
about him.

As for the female. i never seen anything like her. she knocks vases down,
jumps on tables, does not cover her poop, startles us while watching TV,
annoy us while eating, shove her face in our food, runs out the door, and the
list goes on. No biting or scratching problems though. she is a very naughty
kitten.

The habit that i wanna eliminate the most is jumping on tables and areas
with fragile stuff. seriously what can I do? I tried the water spray gun for 3
months now, and she does not get it. tried locking her up after each mistake
but it does not work. she knows the word "NO" but she does not get off the
table unless I rush towards here yelling. today she knocked two vases over
and irritated me. I am considering declawing as she will not jump after that,
but that would be maximum punishment that I do not want to resort to."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Re: Cat with Behavior problem.... help!!!

"she does not get off the table unless I rush towards here yelling"

She is probably bored, and this is her form of playing with the human. Boo did that a lot when younger. He did mellow out a lot as he aged, but he still does these irritating things when he's feeling bored or neglected. He's very needy. One of his favorite things has always been to stare at me, posed ready to do something bad, and wait until I look. As soon as I look, off goes the vase or nails down the couch. Then he springs away about two feet and looks for more mischief.

Open a window and hang a bird feeder for her to watch.
Hang a dangling toy.
Get her a variety of catnip toys to wrestle with.
Anything motorized, bouncey, etc
Pen light! That'll wear her out
My furballs love that ball in a track toy.
Popup tents, tunnels and hammocks.
I even sat up a small fish tank with active fish and frogs - cat was mesmerized forever

Try to give her something new to play with every week or so. Doesn't have to be a store purchased toy, but something that's safe from around the house. For example, a different box, a paper bag, a different blanket, an old sock. My cats act like ferrets and are extremely pleased with any new gift.

Please don't declaw her. It won't actually stop her from jumping entirely either.

And always remember, museum glue can be your friend lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainysparadigm
"she does not get off the table unless I rush towards here yelling"

Open a window and hang a bird feeder for her to watch.
Hang a dangling toy.
Get her a variety of catnip toys to wrestle with.
Anything motorized, bouncey, etc
Pen light! That'll wear her out
My furballs love that ball in a track toy.
Popup tents, tunnels and hammocks.
I even sat up a small fish tank with active fish and frogs - cat was mesmerized forever

And always remember, museum glue can be your friend lol

I bought my cats a wide variety toys worth $2000, and I just save them for future use. those you mentioned above are just half of what they have

nah.. she just does not learn. so if declawing is not gonna work, I will just have her become a mommy that will mellow her down to a fluffy rabbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Premier Cat

Okay, first off, your cat does not have a behavioral problem. She sounds like an absolutely normal, active KITTEN. She will grow out of this but, in the meantime, you may need to adjust a bit. As mentioned above, museum glue is great! Also, you can try double stick tape or a scat mat on surfaces were you don't want her. Honestly, I have not found, yelling, scaring or water guns to work. Actually, I have yet to find anything that fully works but, with my cats, I just CONSISTENTLY said "No" and pushed them off the counters. One of them RARELY goes up there and the other never does. My previous cats never did either. I think making a big deal out f it turns it into a game. Also, if you never, ever leave anything of interest to them up there it'll help a lot.
You may need to put things away until she settles into adulthood. Just like with children, you need to kitten proof your house. Along with putting things that may harm them away, like toxic cleaners, rubber bands etc. you also need to put things away that they might damage like vases.
Declawing your cat will not stop her from jumping. When I was a kid, sadly, our cats were declawed and it didn't stop them from jumping up on things. It could, however, cause your cat life long pain and some serious behavior issues.
Just be patient, consistent and make some adjustments and you'll all be fine.

Victoria
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM

I'm with nanook on this. Declawing isn't an answer, and a sad reason to do such a thing. It's also kinda sad, imo, to bring kittens into the world when there are so many that still need homes -- to save a few vases that could be tacked, without harm, with museum glue.

But that's just my opinion.

Good luck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

To protect your fragile objects, get some museum gel. It will hold them down, even if your kitten is quite large. Hopefully, she will grow out of the other behavior. Good luck.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Cool Cat

Meeka used to jump up on the table every night to try to steal some of our dinner... It took a couple of weeks but everytime we sat down for dinner and she jumped onto the table, we would shut her in a room until we were done. Now, she doesn't even try to jump up while we're eating. Some kittens are just naughtier/more playful than others but unfortunately we just need to be patient and maybe make changes to prevent breakages etc etc.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I wasn't very thorough; I'm sorry. I used to raise Siamese kittens, and often sat down to watch a favorite TV program to eat. I had kittens crawling up my legs and trying to get to my plate, as I'm sure you can understand. I had to hold my plate high so they didn't get their little noses in it!

What I did was just say "That's a no no!"...not loudly, but firmly, and put the kittens down, no matter how often they climbed up. They learned, eventually. I know that's very simple, but it worked. I never let them "win." I think psychologists call that "learned helplessness." At first, they just try harder, but after failing a number of times, (quite a number of times!) they don't do it any more. Of course, you can give them a treat later...if your conscience hurts.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.my.cats
Meeka used to jump up on the table every night to try to steal some of our dinner... It took a couple of weeks but everytime we sat down for dinner and she jumped onto the table, we would shut her in a room until we were done. Now, she doesn't even try to jump up while we're eating. Some kittens are just naughtier/more playful than others but unfortunately we just need to be patient and maybe make changes to prevent breakages etc etc.

i do shut her up in a room after almost every attempt of jumping on tables, knocking things down, or running outside the house. but right after she comes out of the room, she comes and sleep next to me on the sofa with her head resting on my elbow. oh, and she has the ugliest meow sound ever, it goes something like "braaaw or graaaw with a deep froggy tone" lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halqubai
I bought my cats a wide variety toys
Most toys for cats need another person to make them fun. My cats have lots of toys...what do they play with? Each other or me. Make a point of using a wand toy or laser pointer to tire her out once everyday. The more you do it the better, I always stop once they're panting.

Quote:
nah.. she just does not learn.
All cats learn.

Quote:
i do shut her up in a room after almost every attempt of jumping on tables
That sentence tells me you're teaching her that if she does it for long enough you will give up. You need to correct her every single time she does these behaviors.

Quote:
so if declawing is not gonna work, I will just have her become a mommy that will mellow her down to a fluffy rabbit
Having her 'become a mommy' is a bad idea for a number of reasons. She is still a baby, picture a 12 yo girl having a baby. She likely isn't going to be capable of looking after them by herself...or at least not very well. It probably wouldn't calm her down. She has a normal energy level for 6 months. Not to mention that then you'd be dealing with 2-6 more crazy babies and she'd be attacking your male cat.

Be very consistent with her, she needs to know that when you say "No" or "Off" that you mean it. Take her down every single time she jumps up to a spot you don't want her. Before she has a chance to do something naughty.

I would also kitten proof your house as others have suggested. You can't let babies play with live cords, glasses, vases, ect. It's not safe to let your kitten play with those items either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page